Side cover trim, XS1, XS1B, XS2

In my part of the world $1100 - $1500 for candy, of any color, and beyond my budget. I'm a little sheepish to say.... but I did this with rattle cans, Spray Max is the manufacturer of the cans, the base coat is 1K HOK "Solar Gold", 2 coats. The clear is 4 coats of 2K "Clear Glamour". I bought the cans from 66autocolor.com, I'm into it about 5 cans total at about $175. I'll have to say that the 2K clear is good stuff, sets up nice and hard and gives a real nice shine. And all was pretty easy to apply with the Spray Max cans.

Last edited:
Yeah there has been quite a bit of discussion on this forum about 2K products, they are very good and durable paints. Just make sure you wear a quality 3 stage respirator when you are applying it, the hardener in the paint is very toxic and hard on your lungs.

Looks great lpa62. You did a very professional job and for a reasonable cost. I think you're being too hard on yourself and you should be ecstatic. Although we are all our own worst critics I guess.

Man, $1100 - $1500 would buy another project around here. I'd go your way on that paint as well and invest the difference in the "next one".

Thought I would post this, tank painted. will post more pics when bike is back together.
tank2.jpg tank3.jpg tank4.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank4.jpg

It is the Cap that was on the bike when I got it. The bike is a numbers matching 1b, however the tank and side covers were from a ‘72 and red, thus the repaint, I did replace the cap seal, from MikesXS, and rode the bike some before the paint, no problem with leaks.

Wow that paint came out very nice. I take it this was not your first project of this kind. Good job.

2M, you sparked my interest in your question about the gas cap gasket, so I disassembled the cap and see that the gasket (from MikesXS) just barely covers the raised part of the tank inlet where it seals. OK, it doesn't leak, but there's not much room for error. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know of a source for a larger OD gasket? I see that this part is no longer available from Yamaha.

Back