Sigh...the hunt continues for the 75

Vincenthdfan

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I had a line on a couple of different 75's that I had high interest in in the last few days.

One, I took a fellow member on this forum up on his offer to go inspect one in Colorado that seemed to good to be true. Gut instinct was correct and it was a bit of a bust...mileage didnt equal clues on the actual bike (read different speedo installed most likely).

Had another I was pursuing on eBay over in Pennsylvania talked into a price of $4600'ish (reserve wasn't met yet but via phone we settled on a price), wasn't perfect but certainly a worthy contender. Only thing I was hemming and hawing on was it had a tank liner in it, I only found this out by my insistence he have a look in tank for rust or liner. It had a reddish tinted/clearish liner in it....this spooked me a bit, not gonna lie. Tales of Mailman's unfortunate situation still linger in my mind...

Well, in my deliberation (dragging my feet?)...I see the bid went up to $5,000 and reserve is met...I'm out.

Ideally I'd really like to find a survivor, there has to be one out there somewhere. I hate when I get this itch and get on the hunt for something specific...kinda becomes an obsession.

Just came on here to vent, thanks for listening....the hunt continues. :rolleyes:

The only encouragement I can add is, yer in the right country. Hope you are lucky enough to find just what you want but the US must be the largest market for XS650s?

The s/h bike market here in Blighty is more expensive with bargains not really to be found. And far less older bikes around, so any particular make or model is gonna be thin on the ground. Searches for just 'any XS650' won't bring up many adverts across the whole country. And at least half of them will be US imports of unknown history and with a healthy importer's mark up. I suppose those companies provide a very useful service recycling your rubbish into our money pits?

One thing I found in my internet ad searches is to just search Yamaha 650. You get a lot of other crap, but many times people selling these bikes may not know exactly what they are. The badging doesn’t really say “xs650”. Hope this helps in your searches.

Only thing I was hemming and hawing on was it had a tank liner in it, I only found this out by my insistence he have a look in tank for rust or liner. It had a reddish tinted/clearish liner in it....this spooked me a bit, not gonna lie. Tales of Mailman's unfortunate situation still linger in my mind...

Amen brother! Never again! 😢

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1253077018746296/
IMG_0338.png

Yeah, thats the one that started my obsessive search.

It was on eBay at an awesome price, I asked for some better pics because the eBay pics were terrible, all my messages came back saying it was an unsafe e-mail account...never had that happen before in all my years of eBaying.

Then, when found on facebook, started messaging and received no replies. Anyway, long story short I think they're harvesting phone numbers or something?

Back