simple question.......

matt81xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the normal charging voltage on my 81 xs? Just bought her two weeks ago and today was the first day i could work on it. Happy to say she fired up but ran at 12.85 volts with out fluctuating...im an ase cert. auto tech and most cars/trucks charge at 13.5-14.5 so the 12.85 seem ok but im not sure?

ok, well that 12.85 was at idle, no filters on it so i cant really rev it up with out it dying...to much air....either way i feel good that i got it running.....

12.85 at 1200rpm is pretty much bang on the money. as INXS said, you should hit 14.5 +- .5 at 2000, which is when the charging system becomes fully energized.

ok, well that 12.85 was at idle, no filters on it so i cant really rev it up with out it dying...to much air....either way i feel good that i got it running.....

And your carbs are still dirty or need to be set up. you should still be able to rev it up with no filters at all, it will just run a bit lean.

no carbs were just cleaned, this bike hasnt run for several years and this was the very first start up, full choke and she wasnt warm yet.....im doing some more mods tomorrow so ill let you all know the end result...

check the alt brushes too before you go too much farther, and take a rubber eraser to the slip rings. It sounds like your charging system is fine, just needs to be checked for wear items.

so i checked it again today, up around 13.6 which im happy with but......ive encounterd two new issues....1: not alot going on the right cylinder, cold pipe....fuel or spark issue..ill pull the carb off and check for anything being clogged that i missed. 2: ive got one hell of an oil leak...can you guess...clutch rod oil seal, what a mess. I just orderd 2 new seals, bushing, one piece shaft. Has anyone done a right up on how they did it? I know mikes has one but color photos and a step by step would be cool......

Back