Simple wiring diagram...STILL needs help!!!

Yamaboy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK gentlemen...after lots of great feedback on my other post, I decided to follow the general consensus and do a rewiring. This is what I have been told I have:

1979 engine with dual coils and points ignition w/ an upgraded rectifier/regulator combo...no electric starter, kick start only.

And this is what I would like to do:

Get rid of kill switch
Get rid of left hand light control assembly
No turn signals
No horn
No neutral light

I found this very simple wiring diagram online and really like it, but there is a couple of things that confuses me:

1) The battery ground wire goes directly to the reg/rect insted of to the frame?
2) Head light...only two wires...shouldn't there be 3?
3) Tail light...only two wires...shouldn't there be 3?
4) From what I can see there are 4 inline fuse holders...is it possible to use 1 single fuse holder bracket housing the 4 20amp fuses insted of 4 individual inline fuse holders spread all over the place?
I also would like to install a 3 way toggle switch to control the headlight

What do you guys think? Has anyone used this diagram? Any advice is always greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• xs650 wiring diagram.jpg
    xs650 wiring diagram.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 3,042
Hi Yamaboy

1. the minus or ground is the same all over the bike, make sure u have good connections.

2. yes there should be 3 wires for headlight, long and short wave and a minus or ground, if you need position light u need one more wire thats 4 wires.

3. yes there should be 3 wires for brake light if its also tailight.

4. yes u could use one fuse box to hold all the fuses.

toggle switch on the headlight is good to go from short to long wave and off

Best regards and happy building.

Get rid of kill switch
Get rid of left hand light control assembly
No turn signals
No horn
No neutral light

I found this very simple wiring diagram online and really like it, but there is a couple of things that confuses me:

1) The battery ground wire goes directly to the reg/rect insted of to the frame?
2) Head light...only two wires...shouldn't there be 3?
3) Tail light...only two wires...shouldn't there be 3?
4) From what I can see there are 4 inline fuse holders...is it possible to use 1 single fuse holder bracket housing the 4 20amp fuses insted of 4 individual inline fuse holders spread all over the place?
I also would like to install a 3 way toggle switch to control the headlight

What do you guys think? Has anyone used this diagram? Any advice is always greatly appreciated.

no kill switch is a bad idea ever had a throttle stick WFO?
no turns or horn check your State law
battery should go to a frame ground that's what the three bar second wire symbol means
yes use a fuse block I would add a main fuse (battery to key)
a three posistion toggle (ON/OFF/ON) mounted in headlight shell would give you HI/OFF/LOW ... redrew your pic a little

Attachments

• xs650%20wiring%20diagram.jpg
    xs650%20wiring%20diagram.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,149
Mange tak, kazoom! Danish people are some of the most hospital people in the world:thumbsup:

Jayel, thanks alot for taking the time to redraw the wiring diagram...now I actually think I can pull this off.

You are right about the kill switch...another fellow xs'er told me the same thing, but as of now...I think I will try to go through with it. I believe turns are not mandatory...horn...I think if I used a motorcycle horn in las vegas, I would either be laughed at or shot at:laugh: loud pipe and some trottle will have to do.
Jayel...what do you think of this diagram?

I like this one. It has a basic points ignition. It also has the TCI and combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap boxes to match what you have.
If there are things you don't want just leave those out.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 779
I like this one. It has a basic points ignition. It also has the TCI and combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap boxes to match what you have.
If there are things you don't want just leave those out.
Leo
XSLeo,
I used your diagram for kick start only, points, combined Rec/Reg...
My problem is that I keep blowing the fuse between the battery and ignition. I don't know what I am overlooking.

Has to be a short..........Check the grounds and do a continuity test. The short could be anywhere, crossed wires.......................Does it blow when the ignition is turned on?

Gotta say, we need a lot more information about your bike, year/model and what else has been done to the bike by yourself or the PO................

Sometimes an intro goes a long way...........

Has to be a short..........Check the grounds and do a continuity test. The short could be anywhere, crossed wires.......................Does it blow when the ignition is turned on?

Gotta say, we need a lot more information about your bike, year/model and what else has been done to the bike by yourself or the PO................

Sometimes an intro goes a long way.

I make and sell harnesses and the one Leo gave you I use with my harness kits too. Very simple but if you are using frame as ground and many grounds you may have a short. The easy and simple way to check is disconnect parts and see if fuse blows. Disconnect you coil and points 12 volts and see if fuse blows if not those are good. Disconnect you reg/rec see if fuse blows or not. Lights too.. this is a simple way of checking without test light or meter. ALL GROUNDS should go to one place not all over bike. I have said this over and over do not frame ground unless you know that you have ground from front of bike to back. Like I said before had frame that could not pass ground from front of bike to rear . Tie all grounds together and put them on factory ground bolt 12mm next to oil filer. Same place battery ground goes.
GOOD LUCK and let us know what you found.

Not sure sure what bolt you're referring to. Is the bolt head size a 12mm or the diameter of the bolt shaft 12mm. This bike is far from stock and did not come to me with a ground in the described location.

OK here is a picture of a motor. You have the oil fill...... the kicker...... and look right behind kicker see bolt 12mm

Attachments

• xs650motor.jpg
    xs650motor.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 97
Back