slight twist on starter motor noise

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bike starts fine, cranks over great, but... there is a bit of run on noise from the starter, it sounds like the bendix is in no hurry to get retracted. Not horrible long but enough to be annoying and sound like not all is right in the world. Does the spring clip bending tweek help reduce this noise? 83 with just over 10,000 miles.

- unfortunately gggGary, all is not right with the world
- the return spring is supposed to push the starter gear back, i wonder whether, if you have tweaked the spring clip, it is now too tight

I have not tweaked the clip, but don't know about those ahead of me having only put 400 miles on the bike. Guess I might have to looky see.

gggGary,

Do you still have the safety relay installed? Another purpose of the safety relay is to release the starter solenoid when the engine starts. If everything is set up right, the safety relay releases the solenoid and the starter motor a lot faster than you can.

Yes all wiring and components are intact and as far as I know working. I will test by not releasing the starter button.

You can adjust the safety relay so it opens a bit sooner by changing the spring tension on the side of the relay.
The relay is supposed to have a cut out voltage of 2.5 volts. most are in the 4-6 volt range.
I used flashlight batteries linked in series to get 2.5 volts. bent the spring mounts a small bit at a time until it would not work with two batteries, but would with three.
Now the starter cuts off just a bit sooner and is quieter.

I did test and yes the relay is functioning. Tried to get a repeat last night with a recorder running. It worked perfectly, naturally. I will continue to monitor and Leo I like your cutout voltage solution.

ggg,

Also, your charging system must be in good working order for the safety relay to operate quickly, especially the brushes.

Very true. Without the alternator up to snuff all sorts of things can quit. Some one had a headlight that wouldn't come on. Checked everthing in the headlight bucket and such. Finally checked his brushes, one too short. Replaced the brush and his headlight worked right.
I think that anytime anyone has an electrical problem, even if it doesn't seem to matter checking for proper output of the charging system should be parts of the process.

Some one had a headlight that wouldn't come on. Checked everthing in the headlight bucket and such. Finally checked his brushes, one too short. Replaced the brush and his headlight worked right.
Uh that was me too! So the charging is good, The funny thing is the charging was fine right up till the second the brush quit touching. Checking brushes had been on the list of things to do, evidenced by my having bought new ones, just got misplaced for a bit. Next thread; acceptable lateral run out on front disks.

Back