Sloped MC reservoir

David Toll

Reliving my youth?
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hello folks
Currently working on the front end and looking to replace the non-original MC which is a big aluminium number that looks nothing like the clutch assembly. I have seen reference to a "sloped" reservoir to counteract the drop on my "buckhorn" bars, (yes, I'm keeping those, sorry Fred). Do I need the sloped version or can I use the standard type without risking brake fluid running into my lap via my shiny fuel tank? Mikes sells the sloped reservoir but the fitment only lists the '80/'81 Specials, mine is a '78. They come in 13mm so I hope they will still give me some "feel" and they don't have a mirror thread. I know that I can buy aftermarket items on ebay but I would like something that will keep me out of the gum trees while looking like it belongs on the bike, hence the reference to Mikes product, which, while not a match for the expensive original, at least looks the part.
Cheers

Hello Gold Coast Australia, is “Mikes” a reasonable option on shipping to you clear down there ? Curious..
Mikes sells the sloped reservoir but the fitment only lists the '80/'81 Specials, mine is a '78. They come in 13mm so I hope they will still give me some "feel" and they don't have a mirror thread
Do you have used parts available in your area ? I’d sure be looking for a Yamaha “Special” master cylinder with the original mirror mount if I were you. There were just so many out there seems like it’s just too easy. And a hard new brake line.
Cheers :)
-RT

Mikes sells the sloped reservoir but the fitment only lists the '80/'81 Specials, mine is a '78.
I don't see any reason why not David. A '78 with buckhorns would sit exactly the same as my '80.

Slightly smaller than the stock 14mm unit will give you better "feel". A 1/2" (12.7mm) MC works well. Angled versions were used on many of the Yamaha 250 cruisers (Virago, Route 66). Looking on eBay shows they can be found for around $20, sometimes even less.

Thanks people. I can get one like this for $33 (AU), about a quarter of Mikes price. Still waiting to hear if they ship to OZ. It is 12.7mm as 5T recommends. You can see a two prong connector for the brake light switch under the assembly. Will I have to modify the existing wiring to fit these?
s-l1600.jpg

You'll need to make a small pigtail that will match and plug into your harness connections on one end, onto the brake light switch on the other. So no, you don't have to modify your harness, just make a new 2 wire pigtail to connect the switch to it.

Honestly, I'd go with a used Yamaha MC before one of those China pumpers. Benefits of the Yamaha one are it will most likely accept your original brake light switch and lever, and it will have the needed reverse thread mirror mount. I've put them on both my 650s now, an 11mm on my '78 and a 1/2" on my '83. Both were less than $20 off eBay and just required a thorough cleaning, no rebuild kit (so far).

Last edited:
If you wanted to spend the money you could upgrade to a radial master. Very tiny profile. Most guys are ditching the resi and running a tube in its place for the brake fluid

Thanks txblue. I couldn't find a radial MC with the slope my bars apparently require. I know I shouldn't be compromising on brakes but I would like to stay as close as possible to the original.
Cheers

Locating an original Yamaha MC is proving harder than I had imagined. I have found two from a couple of '81 XS but they are surprisingly expensive, ($77.00 & $118.00 (AUD) respectively and in need of repair. Actually, the $77 version looks OK externally - little bit of rust on the screws and missing paint but I am not quite sure what the vendor means by suitable for "parts or repair" and I can't get a clarifying response. Same story on the XV front masters - surprisingly rare and/or costly. I would prefer an original, even at 14mm, but I don't want to buy something listed as not working and go to fit a cylinder kit only to find that the bore is scored. The "Chinese knock offs" are starting to improve in appeal. The Californian one shown above is 1/2 the price of a reparable original and simply requires a two prong harness connector that is commercially available for a few dollars. Local custom bike vendor sells an XV cylinder and lever with harness connector for $95.00 (AUD) and it is 12.7mm, brand new and warrantied. I know it depends on what I am prepared to tolerate but am I making this too hard?

Last edited:
Locating an original Yamaha MC is proving harder than I had imagined. I have found two from a couple of '81 XS but they are surprisingly expensive,

I know it depends on what I am prepared to tolerate but am I making this too hard?
I feel for you, crap I know of one exposed to the weather rotting away even here.
Hey remember about the Lft hand mirror mount thread. If the after market MC is Rt hand thread, you’ll be buying a mirror set too ?
Good Luck down under -R

Locating an original Yamaha MC is proving harder than I had imagined. I have found two from a couple of '81 XS but they are surprisingly expensive, ($77.00 & $118.00 (AUD) respectively and in need of repair. Actually, the $77 version looks OK externally - little bit of Ruston the stews and missing paint but I am not quite sure what the vendor means by suitable for "parts or repair" and I can't get a clarifying response. Same story on the XV front masters - surprisingly rare and/or costly. I would prefer an original, even at 14mm, but I don't want to buy something listed as not working and go to fit a cylinder kit only to find that the bore is scored. The "Chinese knock offs" are starting to improve in appeal. The Californian one shown above is 1/2 the price of a reparable original and simply requires a two prong harness connector that is commercially available for a few dollars. Local custom bike vendor sells an XV cylinder and lever with harness connector for $95.00 (AUD) and it is 12.7mm, brand new and warrantied. I know it depends on what I am prepared to tolerate but am I making this too hard?

I think I still have the original that came with my ‘79 Special, you’re more than welcome to that for nought if you’re happy to pay shipping from the UK? Bad luck David, you posted this 2 weeks too late, my brother’s just headed back to NSW.

Daniel.

Those that you show from California are a Honda style M/C. They don't have an adjustable lever like Yamaha used.
I like the adjustable ones. They let you set the lever height to better fit the reach of your fingers.
Their are a few M/C's from smaller bikes that Yamaha built that use a properly threaded mirror mount. These often have a smaller bore size.
The stock 14 mm works. It is a bit wooden for feel, and provide a minimum of braking power. Swapping it for an M/C with a smaller bore increases the braking power with the same amount of finger pull. This also increases the feel of the brakes.
The 12.7 mm is about right. A much better brake with a bit longer lever pull but much strong brake action.
The 10 or 11 mm are very strong braking but the lever comes much closer to the grip.
Leo

Yes, I've tried both an 11mm and a 1/2" (12.7mm). I like the 1/2" better, less lever travel than the 11mm but still improved "feel" over the stock 14mm. Mine came from a Yamaha Vision, the liquid cooled 550 V twin they made for a couple years in the early '80s.

you’re more than welcome to that for nought if you’re happy to pay shipping from the UK?
That's a generous offer BTM. Please check to see if you have it and if it's functional. I have no idea what shipping would cost from England but I'd happily pay it to get the original stock. You'd have to add a few pounds for a couple of pints for your time and trouble and I'd rather pay a member than an eBay random. Let me know either way.
Cheers

Hello folks
Currently working on the front end and looking to replace the non-original MC which is a big aluminium number that looks nothing like the clutch assembly. I have seen reference to a "sloped" reservoir to counteract the drop on my "buckhorn" bars, (yes, I'm keeping those, sorry Fred). Do I need the sloped version or can I use the standard type without risking brake fluid running into my lap via my shiny fuel tank? Mikes sells the sloped reservoir but the fitment only lists the '80/'81 Specials, mine is a '78. They come in 13mm so I hope they will still give me some "feel" and they don't have a mirror thread. I know that I can buy aftermarket items on ebay but I would like something that will keep me out of the gum trees while looking like it belongs on the bike, hence the reference to Mikes product, which, while not a match for the expensive original, at least looks the part.
Cheers

Hi David,
I have the stock sloped M/C on my XS650's Honda CB750 bars so it's only level when the steering's on hard right lock.
It ain't never spilled nothin' except if I get careless when checking the fluid level.
I run 2 calipers with stainless hoses and the stocker's pull feels eff nigh perfect, a vast improvement over the same lever's
wooden feel when running a single caliper. Don't the Australian version XS650 have dual front disks?

That's a generous offer BTM. Please check to see if you have it and if it's functional. I have no idea what shipping would cost from England but I'd happily pay it to get the original stock. You'd have to add a few pounds for a couple of pints for your time and trouble and I'd rather pay a member than an eBay random. Let me know either way.
Cheers

I’m hoping to get in the workshop tonight, I’ll take some photos for you then David.

Fred, haven't seen the dual disc version here on the Gold Coast but then, XS's are relatively rare. I see that I can mount a second disc on the speedo side but that might be a little too much investment in time and money at this point. If the MC I fit has poor "feel" I would possibly consider it.

Fred, haven't seen the dual disc version here on the Gold Coast but then, XS's are relatively rare. I see that I can mount a second disc on the speedo side but that might be a little too much investment in time and money at this point. If the MC I fit has poor "feel" I would possibly consider it.

Hi David,
used brake caliper & disk prices are reasonable, it's the shipping that'll kill the deal and if it can't be gotten locally a M/C is the lightest thing to ship.
I reckon Yamaha sized the XS650 stock M/C's piston area to work dual disks so that an M/C with half the stock M/C's piston area will give the same "feel"
when working only one disk. When doing the arithmetic, remember it's half the AREA, not half the diameter, eh?

Back