Slow burner...

Zedhead

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here's my XS, crammed up against a wall in my far-too-small workshop. I'm going to be moving house soon, to a place with a decent double car size garage, so I'll have the room to A) take a decent pic, and B) start Doing Work!
I've wanted an XS for a looooooong time, but only recently managed to get my hands on one for a decent price, although it is just a frame, swingarm and engine. It's not going to be a fast build...

Attachments

• xs.jpg
    xs.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 264
Sooooo....I'm not the only XS650 owner with a KZ project in the workshop? Mine is a '77 KZ650/750GPz hybrid.

I bought a new 73 Tx650 because my buddy had a 72 and the Z1 was not on the radar yet. Joined the service and was and bought a 74 Z1 in SanDiego and was hooked on the Z1 for the next 40 years but when two XS2 650 came my way seven yearsago I could not resist. All th KZ models were great bikes and alot of them still out there to restore.

So here's my XS, crammed up against a wall in my far-too-small workshop. I'm going to be moving house soon, to a place with a decent double car size garage, so I'll have the room to A) take a decent pic, and B) start Doing Work!
I've wanted an XS for a looooooong time, but only recently managed to get my hands on one for a decent price, although it is just a frame, swingarm and engine. It's not going to be a fast build...

Hi Zedhead,
a blank slate build ain't the easiest to do but it does give you the widest range of options.
Pick the XS650 wheels you best like the look of because after '72 they'll all fit.
Special and Standard XS650 tanks both drop on. XS750 tanks if you like the look enough to tinker one onto the frame.
Stock seat fits the frame easiest. If your frame has the lift-off seat lugs, you may not like those seats pillion hump.
Use the seat pan and get it re-upholstered.
It's easier to opt for any of the different forks and their associated multi-pot caliper brakes that will fit the frame if you ain't got any.
What (if any) alternator and ignition does your engine have?
Do NOT drink the PMA koolaid. Replacing or repairing a stock alternator works better.
If you have a stock TCI module ignition stay with it although a Pamco ignition does beat fighting with points.
Unless you want to stay with points for nostalgia's sake.

Last edited:
Sooooo....I'm not the only XS650 owner with a KZ project in the workshop? Mine is a '77 KZ650/750GPz hybrid.
Mine's a hybrid too - Z650 with a GPz1100 Unitrak motor, breathed on, and with chassis upgrades too. And the other one, a Z750, has a GSX-R engine... but that's getting off topic, this is about the Yam! :)

And Fredintoon - the XS certainly isn't going to be returned to standard. I have a set of Suzuki forks that may be used, and I'm contemplating whether I should hard tail the standard frame, get someone to build a new frame for me, or go with a modified standard frame using low-slung shocks, FLH style. I have an old trails-style Honda tank that I may use, and the seat will be small!

And Fredintoon - the XS certainly isn't going to be returned to standard. I have a set of Suzuki forks that may be used, and I'm contemplating whether I should hard tail the standard frame, get someone to build a new frame for me, or go with a modified standard frame using low-slung shocks, FLH style. I have an old trails-style Honda tank that I may use, and the seat will be small!

Hi Zedhead,
I'm agin' doing stuff to a bike that you can't get back from if you change your mind but WTF, it's yours to build up how you want it.
As to a small seat, how big is your backside? And a hardtail; how sturdy is your spine?

Fred - had it been a standard bike then I'd perhaps be inclined to be a bit more conservative with the mods, but there's no way I could have afforded the prices that a standard XS goes for here in the UK!
I am wondering why you may ask the size of my rear end, but since you ask, it's scrawny! :) And my back is the same as most of us who've been riding bikes 25 years or more, goosed! But I've ridden hardtails before, and it's not going to have forward controls, so....
But as I said, I'm still undecided on shock / no shocks. Actually, if it's hardtail it'll still have a shock / spring under the seat I reckon.

Oh, and having read your tag line Fred, I should maybe mention that I have also considered a sidecar, given that it'd mean that my dog could travel with me...

As the house move has happened, I now have a somewhat larger garage as a workspace... Just needs a lick of paint (on walls and floor) some more lights adding, and some more power points,then I can get all my swag moved in and start work on stuff.
timesponge.jpg

Aaaargh! Having endured a frustratingly high level of advertising and pop-ups on Botof*ckit over the years, they now decide I have to pay 400 bucks a year for the priviledge. Arses.

Back