Slow burner...

So, while moving stuff around to get the garage walls painted, grabbed a couple of pics...
IMG_20170828_111236.jpg

As yet, I've not managed to ascertain exactly what model this XS once was, or to find either a frame or engine number... I'll have a proper look, with my specs on and in the daylight, tomorrow...

Note to self.... take the bloody covers off the bike and have a proper look... But knowing that it's a Special is a start, thanks! :)

As an aside, after a conversation with the bloke I bought the bike off, he was suggesting that the alternator cover was specific to this model only, and a nightmare to get hold of. I've tried a bit of research... and only seen that the alternator covers are the same for all models... anyone any idea?

Thanks TooMany - seems like I was being misled! Given that I'm not bothered about originality, and am probably going to trim the rear edge of the cover to 'look pretty' it seems that I can guess any year cover... ;-)

Absolutely nothing in the way of work has been done on the project, although I have sourced a rear wheel (a standard spoked XS 18") and an aftermarket hardtail conversion kit for it, although whether I use the hardtail or not I don't know. I might, or I might modify it, or not bother at all...

VIN plate is on the headstock - looks like yours has been painted over. Mine also has the number (or at least part of it) stamped alongside it. Engine number is on the front of the motor, hiding behind the front engine mounting.
Good luck with your build!

With the new (to me) wheel I also got a spare hub, brake plate, a lot of oil seals (something around the head, apparently, I need to check the part number to be sure) and the smallest oil filter I have ever seen in my life!

There was a small difference in the engine side covers above the sprocket area. Early pre 75 covers where squared off and 75 and later they were rounded. Easy enough to grind it round if you get the early type.
P1110357 n.jpg

I think some of the real early XS1/1B and maybe XS2, the mounting holes were different some how.

I managed to source a cover at a reasonable price, from a chap in the US - worked out far cheaper to buy and have sent across the Pond than buying a cover here in the UK.

After looking into the paperwork side of things, I think I'll need to mock it up into a stand-looking bike in order to be able to get a registration document. When I say 'standard-looking', it'll not have to look like the original XS, but like a 'normal' bike - ie rear suspension, mudguards etc. I can then get around to cutting it around properly after that.
The advantage of getting a registration that ties in with the age of the original frame and engine is that it'll not have to have fripperies such as indicators, and once it is 40 years old, there's no requirement for the yearly roadworthiness test (MoT) or road tax...

The paperwork side of things looks like it could be a bit easier than I thought. Regulations here in the UK dictate that bikes of over 40 years of age have a somewhat easier time, in that they don't have to have the yearly MoT examination, and don't have to pay road tax either. In addition, it also means I can apply for an age-dependant number plate without it having to be presented as a complete bike!

Back