1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Slow burner...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zedhead, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

So, while moving stuff around to get the garage walls painted, grabbed a couple of pics...
    [​IMG]

2. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

As yet, I've not managed to ascertain exactly what model this XS once was, or to find either a frame or engine number... I'll have a proper look, with my specs on and in the daylight, tomorrow...

3. looks to be a 78/79 Special...........Swing arm is off 78/79 Special and the frame is a Special

Zedhead likes this.
  4. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Note to self.... take the bloody covers off the bike and have a proper look... But knowing that it's a Special is a start, thanks! :)

5. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru

Cam chain adjuster (type D with no lock nut) would indicate a '78 motor most likely.

JRay77 and Zedhead like this.
  6. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks 5twins ;-)

7. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

As an aside, after a conversation with the bloke I bought the bike off, he was suggesting that the alternator cover was specific to this model only, and a nightmare to get hold of. I've tried a bit of research... and only seen that the alternator covers are the same for all models... anyone any idea?

8. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks TooMany - seems like I was being misled! Given that I'm not bothered about originality, and am probably going to trim the rear edge of the cover to 'look pretty' it seems that I can guess any year cover... ;-)

9. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Absolutely nothing in the way of work has been done on the project, although I have sourced a rear wheel (a standard spoked XS 18") and an aftermarket hardtail conversion kit for it, although whether I use the hardtail or not I don't know. I might, or I might modify it, or not bother at all...

10. nighthog

nighthog XS650 Enthusiast

VIN plate is on the headstock - looks like yours has been painted over. Mine also has the number (or at least part of it) stamped alongside it. Engine number is on the front of the motor, hiding behind the front engine mounting.
    Good luck with your build!

Zedhead likes this.
  11. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks Nighthog!

12. Zedhead

Zedhead XS650 Enthusiast

With the new (to me) wheel I also got a spare hub, brake plate, a lot of oil seals (something around the head, apparently, I need to check the part number to be sure) and the smallest oil filter I have ever seen in my life!

13. There was a small difference in the engine side covers above the sprocket area. Early pre 75 covers where squared off and 75 and later they were rounded. Easy enough to grind it round if you get the early type.
    P1110357 n.jpg

I think some of the real early XS1/1B and maybe XS2, the mounting holes were different some how.

Zedhead likes this.