Small rust particulate in tank

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

I did electrolysis on a very rusty tank and after a soak in phosphoric acid the tank appeared go to go. That is to say with a flash light I looked inside the tank (to the best of my ability) and there is no rust. I filled the tank up with a bit of gas and let it run through the petcock to a glass jar.

There are the smallest particulates of rust in the glass jar. When I say small I mean it is at the limit of human vision. I am confident that this is not going to clog up the carburetor but my main concern is long term damage to the engine.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Adam

Something like rust colored dust was left in my tank after I cleaned it. I could wipe it onto my finger, but it wouldn't rinse out. I just put an inline filter in and don't worry about it.

Acetone makes a good tank flush but handle with care ................ Specially if you have nice paint on it. I like to use a lot of compressed air too.

Remember that regardless of what you use as a "rust removers", in fact what's hoped for is the reduction of red iron oxide Fe2O3-ferric oxide (bonded to the steel surface of your tank) to black iron oxide FeO2- ferrous oxide (a fine loose particulate that can be removed by a variety of methods...rinsing, flushing, blowing out,even vacuuming). The process involved first reduces the iron oxides from the "ferric" to the loose "ferrous" state so you can mechanically remove them as Gary suggests. Some people seem to think/expect that they are literally "removing rust by dissolving it".....that is not the case. You'll have the mess of cleaning up the mess of your success one way or the other. Blue

vinegar....acetic acid...cheap as borscht and does it all ...then a rinse with a cup of acetone....then yer good to go... I do not approve or recommend using phosphoric acid!!! It damages the .....well that is irrelevant.....white vinegar! Acetone!~ to remove all traces of H2O and the acid ...and then gasoline......ride safe!

Back