Small spring found in oil change

Blair_repair

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
42B2BE14-3631-494C-B710-B8FD5B392ACF.jpeg
Just picked up an 1980 xs as a parts bike for a chopper build. Engine runs fine but I needed to remove it to prep the frame for a hard tail. When I was draining the engine oil there was this small spring magnetized to the drain plug. I haven’t done a whole lot of engine work on these bikes and can’t quite place where it might be from.

Trying to think of a seal spring that small in relation to formerly beloved Lincoln. Maybe a camshaft seal

It looks like the PO replaced it in 2004 judging from the archeology evidence you have there, so it was time to replace again.

All kidding aside, it looks like you may be in for a little more engine work than you thought at the start of your project. I am not the one to pass judgment as I have not yet tore an engine apart here, but there are many thread on this beauty. Good luck and make sure you keep our eyes' needs fulfilled with lots of pictures on your quest.

When fitting oil seals be aware that if you have to hammer quite hard to get them in place then that spring will often pop off. I usually cover the spring in grease when fitting to help alleviate the problem. So which seal did it come from? I'm guessing the clutch pushrod seal. Maybe we could organize some sort of a pool????

When fitting oil seals be aware that if you have to hammer quite hard to get them in place then that spring will often pop off. I usually cover the spring in grease when fitting to help alleviate the problem. So which seal did it come from? I'm guessing the clutch pushrod seal. Maybe we could organize some sort of a pool????
The clutch pushrod seal does not have a spring as I recall.
My advice, if you're building something new, is pull the bottom case half and do an inspection. Install a seal kit at this time. It's nice to start out fresh.

I agree with Marty, if the motor is out already, for the cost of a gasket and seal kit I’d tear it down and have a look inside.

You guys are right on the money. I had a bag of those clutch rod seals laying around and compared the spring to the seal spring and it looks like an exact match. Thanks guys! Had me scratching my head for a second. Second picture is the project I started.
10C47C2E-9BD4-46BD-9448-559637B5FDF6.jpeg

Attachments

• 8232B04E-4E87-495A-B959-D755BA457AAE.jpeg
    8232B04E-4E87-495A-B959-D755BA457AAE.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 149
When fitting oil seals be aware that if you have to hammer quite hard ....So which seal did it come from? I'm guessing the clutch pushrod seal.
That particular one can be pushed in using the XSLeo method of putting a phillips in the hole and using the handle as a pusher. Everything has to be chamfered and greased right. Noob tip, note exactly how far in seals need to go before you remove the old one. Because there's nothing stopping them...

Also, this is the thing you need to get them out...
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tool-seal-puller-w1219/11957867-p

Back