Smallest Tach/Speedo for a custom fit?

Brassneck

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I did a search but came up empty, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or has any leads to guide me...

So I was looking to relocate the tach/speedo...and as I was looking at my stock triple tree... I had a thought, What if I were to remove the handlebar risers as I'll be moving to clip-ons anyways ('79 Special) and in the two voids that this would leave, put the tach/speedo there?

I don't off hand have the measurements of those two holes, but I'm thinking they are bigger than 35mm.

Anyone know if this has been done? Or if there are super small tach/speedos-- (I don't think the mini tach/speedo 2.25" are small enough) that may work?

Thanks!

Any tach/speedo small enough to fit in the handlebar mount holes would be extremely hard to read, IMO. Perhaps a custom top triple from Motolanna or Heiden would look better with clip-ons? And I personally think that around 60 mm (2 3/8") is the smallest size analog tach/speedo that is practical . Daytona "Velona" gauges are this size, both tach and speedo is electronic, saving a lot of weight and clutter, and the gauges are quite lightweight themselves, and look good also.

Any tach/speedo small enough to fit in the handlebar mount holes would be extremely hard to read, IMO. Perhaps a custom top triple from Motolanna or Heiden would look better with clip-ons? And I personally think that around 60 mm (2 3/8") is the smallest size analog tach/speedo that is practical . Daytona "Velona" gauges are this size, both tach and speedo is electronic, saving a lot of weight and clutter, and the gauges are quite lightweight themselves, and look good also.

This was the route I was initially going to go... Motolanna polished aluminum top, for a very clean look...but I like the idea of burying the gauges and this seemed like an interesting way to go. I do agree that the small size would be a bit more challenging to see, but not impossible (I have a 2 1/8 tach in my ghia below the dash and from where I sit driving--about 3 feet away, I still see it well enough to know where I'm at with rpms)

I just found a 1.9" speedo (1.78 OD), which makes it about 45mm. I'll have to go measure the hole and see how close that is.

Well, looks like the 1.9" tach/speedo's are not even small enough...now that I'm home, and have done some measuring, the riser holes look to be more like 1.6-.7" OD, so I think I need to abandon the idea, or get something custom made...

Oh well, it was a nice thought. :)

Back