Smart Phones

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Psychologists are quickly learning how dangerous smartphones can be for teenage brains.

Research has found that an eighth-grader’s risk for depression jumps 27% when he or she frequently uses social media. Kids who use their phones for at least three hours a day are much more likely to be suicidal. And recent research has found the teen suicide rate in the US now eclipses the homicide rate, with smartphones as the driving force.

An extract from here.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...l-gates-steve-jobs-red-flag-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

One the sidewalk, in the malls, at the HighSchool.....everywhere, they're everywhere!

I've seen this Skull and it is serious stuff. I suspect it played a part in my daughter's suicide.

There's a recent story in Australia of it happening with an apparently beloved child model. They are saying an app that facilitated anonymous harassment played a part. I understand the reluctance to regulate the industry and the unique problems involved but at some point it's like allowing the sale of dangerous toys.

Rick Mercer (the guy in the Blackberry Helmet video) is a Canadian comedian and social commentator. Like most Canadians he has a dry and self-deprecating sense of humour and like most of the funniest Canadians, he is from Newfoundland on our east coast. There are a wide variety of videos which originally aired on the CBC TV show - The Rick Mercer Report - check 'em out!

This one is entitled: Is your kid an idiot?

I suspect that many of us who have (or had) parents with whom this video would resonate......

Back