smell of fuel

tekk220

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I can smell fuel when I walk into my garage. I don't notice any leaks... petcocks are turned to the off position. any ideas? sorry for the ignorance. new to this bike

Check for leaks around the petcock - where it screws into the tank, where the fuel line connects to it and around the on/off/reserve lever. There are gaskets that can dry out and leak.

Check for leaks around the carbs - where the fuel line connects, around where the bowl fits to the carb and under the carb on top of the transmission. The inlet needle might not be seating and the bowls will drain out the overflow. It'll stop once the fuel level drops, but the fuel can pool on top of the transmission. It may have overflow tubes that snake down between the back of the trans and the swingarm, so check on the floor too.

Easiest way is to feel around with your finger and then do a sniff check to see if you're picking up fuel.

Carbs from 1978 forward vent through holes in the intake bell. If fuel does not shut off due to petcock and/or float valve defects, the overflow may not be obvious until you inspect for wet air filters and fuel in the crankcase.

Yes, but fuel petcocks 78 forward do not have a "off" position. Vacuum petcocks 78 forward have a on, res, and prime position.
petcocks are turned to the off position. any ideas?
What year is this bike tekk220 ?

Attachments

• 20191218_092055.jpg
    20191218_092055.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 34
the bike is a 77.. a friend of mine said they may be from another year..

Attachments

• IMG_8501.JPG
    IMG_8501.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8500.JPG
    IMG_8500.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 85
I rolled my bike out the garage today and fuel just started dripping out from this tube... left a trail and was noticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_8740.JPG
    IMG_8740.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 86
so I purchased a rebuild kit and replaces all gaskets.. I get some serious fuel leak when changing from off to on.. its also hard and not easy to turn.. im at a loss.

Back