Smiles' Top End Rebuild Thread

Well it's been pretty cold in Missouri lately and between that and having to take the jugs back off a couple times, work has been slow. It got a bit (not much!) warmer today so I figured I've had enough of a break and I need to get this damn camshaft and cam chain installed.

I neglected to take pictures but, well, it's on there! Getting the chain wrapped around the camshaft was the trickiest part. I tightened the head down a bit with the bolts that go by the spark plugs and holes. Then I removed the bearings from one side of the camshaft and set it in the head making sure it was lined up correctly. I laid the chain on the cam and twisted the wire that was tied to each end together to hold it in place while I installed the bearings. Used a socket to drive the bearings on to the cam and I was good to go!

As for the riveting, that could have gone better. The tool I have isn't the best and I tried riveting it with the pins used to remove links, and that didn't go great. Once I figured out to use the right pin the flare is kind of off center, but I think it'll be fine.

Here's to hoping the rest of this goes better!

North of KC.... Gladstone to be exact.

Well I succeeded again at forgetting pictures, but the rocker box is on. I went to the store to get an oil can and oiled the can chain and bearings nicely. Them I put some gasket sealer on the head, assembly lube on the cam, and dropped it on. Had to use the head bolts to get the rocker box to seat all the way. I used all copper washers on the top and it looks pretty snazzy!

For about $15 more you can get a Tourmax seal kit that has all the seals. If you keep the bike, you'll eventually need 'em. I took a chance and ordered 'em (same part #) and it turns out they're ARS... the Japanese company that made the original seals. Good stuff.

To answer your question, yes. Those will work.... 25-40-6 is the correct size.

Well, I finally got everything torqued and the motor installed in the bike. I went to install the advance assembly, and noticed the little pin that goes in the cam that located the plate that the advance weights mount to is missing. I have a couple in the way, is it possible to install it with everything assembled?

I also bought a new drive chain (Izumi 530 110 link). What does the 530 mean? Do I need to trim this chain?

Yes, it is possible to install the locating pin in the cam for the advance assembly with everything assembled.

530 is the chain size, the size of the links (length and width). Yes, 110 is a bit long and will need to be shortened. Stock size was 104 links. I never actually count the links, I string the chain on and figure out where to cut it after stretching it tight.

Alright, I'm in the final assembly stage. I can't quite remember, is this just a breather or what is it for and where do the hoses go?

Attachments

• 20190520_182247.jpg
    20190520_182247.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 156
Just breather tubes. Route hoses just below the back of the bottom of the engine.

...... or they plug onto the airboxes on the '76 and later models.

smiles---Congrats to you, job well done........
tim

Back