Snail cams

tripleaught

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been building an ‘80 with a TC bros hardtail. It’s been going very well and most of my questions have been answered by checking old threads rather than asking new questions but this one I can’t find any info on. When assembling the rear I’m using a mid ‘70s spoked drum wheel with the high shoulders. All my stock spacers and washers fit up and align the wheel perfectly when leaving out the axle adjusters. If I subtract the washers the adjuster still don’t fit especially on the drum side with the big spacer. So I’m thinking of welding on threaded rod connecter nuts and using a bolt like on my Elswick frame or snail cams like on a dirt bike. Anyone have any experience with snail cams on an XS? If so where did you get them? I thought I saw some on lowbrow but not anymore. If so pics and advice would be appreciated

000--- The space between the axle plates has probably shrunk up a bit during welding. You need a min. of 8 1/2 in between them, if not the proper spacers and axle adjusters will not fit. A piece of threaded rod , couple of big washers , couple of nuts and you can gently open the space between the axle plates. This will allow you to fit everything in and have correct alignment. By the way where in NH ??

tim

000--- The space between the axle plates has probably shrunk up a bit during welding. You need a min. of 8 1/2 in between them, if not the proper spacers and axle adjusters will not fit. A piece of threaded rod , couple of big washers , couple of nuts and you can gently open the space between the axle plates. This will allow you to fit everything in and have correct alignment. By the way where in NH ??

tim
Nashua area. Still would like to see if anyone has done snail cams. Stock adjusters are ugly

Yes I have done it before and it worked just as good as stock adjusters. But I made my own

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 202
I'm doing the exact same thing right now. TC Bros hardtail. Late 1980 with the mag drum brake set up tho. If I use the rear fender support mount holes on the slotted axle gusset, the snail cams will need to be modified. I have the voodoo vintage snail cams. I'd take a pic but I just tore it down for paint.

Back