Snazzier handlebar clamps

aldo5468

Redleg
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Easy, inexpensive way to improve the looks of handlebar clamps on XS650s - these polished aluminum Virago units bolt right in. They were used on Viragos of many sizes (535, 750, 1100) and Stars for many years, so easy to get.

Attachments

• Virago clamps_1.jpg
    Virago clamps_1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 372
  • Virago clamps_2.jpg
    Virago clamps_2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 405
Easy, inexpensive way to improve the looks of handlebar clamps on XS650s - these polished aluminum Virago units bolt right in. They were used on Viragos of many sizes (535, 750, 1100) and Stars for many years, so easy to get.
Aldo, when u went with Virago risers, did u also go with Virago bushings?
I found that the Virago risers shaft are thinner and the same size as the threaded portion, vs the 650 riser shaft steps up in diameter size about 2 mm, thus the xs bushings on the Virago shaft is sloppy, so I assumed I also need Virago bushings.
Thanks

Aldo, when u went with Virago risers, did u also go with Virago bushings?
I found that the Virago risers shaft are thinner and the same size as the threaded portion, vs the 650 riser shaft steps up in diameter size about 2 mm, thus the xs bushings on the Virago shaft is sloppy, so I assumed I also need Virago bushings.
Thanks
At the time I posted this, I still had stock 650 risers on my bike - the V'go aluminum clamps just replaced the stock 650 iron ones "plug-and-play". Since then, I also replaced the 650 risers with V'go ones - I can't remember now exactly how I made up the difference in shaft diameter, but probably wrapped enough tape to do it. Also, if I remember, the V'go riser stems are a bit shorter than the stock 650 ones.

So Gary, you took the metric coupler to a lathe and made that neat nut / threaded bottom spacer type piece.
But knowing the Virago riser shaft is smaller diameter, how did you keep the top washer and rubber bushing from being sloppy on the shaft?

good question!
But they aren't, :umm: dumb look is free.
mebbie swapped top and bottom washers?
mebbie found a piece of tubing to use as a sleeve.
I tend to use a steel washer between the rubber inserts mebbie that squishes the inserts enough to keep the biolt centered, then there's duct tape . :shootme:

Looking to be able to polish the clamps, I assume rigidity and comfort will the same as I wouldnt be using the riser that pull the bars to the rear.

Last edited:
Some parts comparison pics.virago top triples at bottom.
I went out and checked madness couple years 8,000 miles virago risers, no mods just kinda tightened nut, prolly a steel washer in the middle still has damping, not wiggly.
1580664350120-1808440632.jpg

Are you looking for taller risers or just shinier bits?
Just looking to be polishable aluminium, both the upper and lower portion of the clamps.
Not looking to change triples, I prefer the look of the polished riser atop the black triple.

Last edited:
I had two of the coupling nuts so made up another set just now. Swapping top and bottom washers helps hold riser centered and reduced section of nut to fit hold the bottom of stem. A benefit of virago risers is they let you pull fork caps and springs without removing handlebars. This top triple is 35mm no iggy switch mount so from 77-79 standard.
1580667616607-187031788.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Gary, I do see the benefit of the offset - angled riser, dont know if I want the look of the offset though.
Does the Virago rubber bushing fill up the cavity in the XS triple? If so, then the only difference is ID? Or they alao shorter to account for the shorter Virago riser shaft?

I used the Virago clamps but on a set of Old School Speed uppers. The uppers come with a much smaller polyurethane bushing and chrome washers and the center hole is perfect. Virago shanks are much to long so I made some spacers and always intended to cut and re thread them but forgot.:shootme:
handlebars 005.JPG
handlebars 004.JPG

Hello Gary, I do see the benefit of the offset - angled riser, dont know if I want the look of the offset though.
Does the Virago rubber bushing fill up the cavity in the XS triple? If so, then the only difference is ID? Or they alao shorter to account for the shorter Virago riser shaft?
You're reading my mind!
The virago bushing has an inner and out metal sleeve and is pressed into the triple but the hole in the Virago triple has a smaller ID so a sleeve would need to be made to use the virago bushes in the XS triples. (virago triple: less offset, fork tubes are closer together) It may be a better set up, similar to a suspension bushing. Using that bushing in a sleeve, the riser stem will be the correct length also. Need to explore further.

And here comes my standard question: Will the Virago clamps save any weight vs the stock ones, if so, how much?
Virago risers each weigh 3 grams more. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
PS Virago risers come in a couple varieties some short and straight up, others taller and offset.
A set of the latter on period piece.

20190821_164910-jpg.147817

20190821_164918-jpg.147815

Back