snort'n Norton, the pointless? thread

Left JPs in far southern Georgia at 5AM, made it to @GLJ s, Dixon IL at 9:30 PM delivered a few parts, got to see his VERY well organized shop and projects in progress and was home at 1AM. 1,000 miles in 20 hours. Even in a comfortable van that's a long haul. What kind of idiot would do that on a motorcycle? (oops) Good traveling weather all around. A fine group of folks to visit, ride, and trade with.
Now gotta unload the van and see what I bought and (finally) start the Norton part of this thread.

Last edited:
Just out of the van and getting the "inspection".
20211117_114517.jpg
gulp.

Tole you it was pointless.
boyer.jpg

Boyer Bransen iggy.
No battery, no capacitor that I've seen, so no spark yet.
Plugs had been liberally coated in anti seize. Not a good thing for making sparks.
20211117_183943.jpg

Compression seems very strong.
Lots of indications this will be a big project.
20211117_200751.jpg

But most of my efforts tonight were working on madness' gas leak.

Very snazz Gary - is that JPs Norton?
The one I rode is JP's, he had to start it for me :wtf:
The story of negotiations and intrigue that resulted in getting this Commando into my van is long and best told over a couple of cold ones round a campfire.
fins1.jpg
Next up; sorting the proverbial "box of parts" that always goes with a bike of this sort. Box weighs at least 30 pounds....????

The one I rode is JP's, he had to start it for me :wtf:
The story of negotiations and intrigue that resulted in getting this Commando into my van is long and best told over a couple of cold ones round a campfire.
View attachment 201909
Next up; sorting the proverbial "box of parts" that always goes with a bike of this sort. Box weighs at least 30 pounds....????
This is how my 70 Norton came to me. The previous owner had taken it apart to "restore" it, then died. His son had no interest in it.
DSCF4842.JPG
DSCF4842.JPG
DSCF4843.JPG

Re good compression....PO claimed it has 30 over pistons with a thinner head gasket. He also stated the motor had the upgraded superblend main bearings installed. Given it's a combat to begin with, and assuming the PO's statements were correct, and assuming the rebuild was done correctly, this thing should rip (all ankle busting kickstarts aside).

Tole you it was pointless.
View attachment 201904
Boyer Bransen iggy.
No battery, no capacitor that I've seen, so no spark yet.
Plugs had been liberally coated in anti seize. Not a good thing for making sparks.
View attachment 201905
Compression seems very strong.
Lots of indications this will be a big project.
View attachment 201906

But most of my efforts tonight were working on madness' gas leak.
Put a blob of silicone on the wires where the come off the pickup coils for the ignition. The vibration will cause the wires to fatigue and break.
Don't ask how I know this. Easy preventative maintenance will save you a lot of greif.
Re good compression....PO claimed it has 30 over pistons with a thinner head gasket. He also stated the motor had the upgraded superblend main bearings installed. Given it's a combat to begin with, and assuming the PO's statements were correct, and assuming the rebuild was done correctly, this thing should rip (all ankle busting kickstarts aside).
You can check out accessnorton.com for help. Like this forum the members are very helpful.

Back