So git 'er Done

I went to a Fel-Pro seminar a long time ago. One of the things they stressed was evenest of torque and pattern were just as or more important than the torque. Head gaskets like being tightened down in a circular pattern from the inside out. That way the gasket doesn't try to wrinkle.

Just had to tell someone, I'm so chuffed. After "cough, cough" years. My starter is now working.

In all the time I've had the bike it never has, and although I've known for the past few years, thanks to the forum, how to do it I've never had the confidence to take the clutch apart. So, bored by lockdown I ordered the bits (clutch locking tool etc..) and took a deep breath.

… and it works. No dreadful sound like rattling change in a tin can. I'm still waiting for gaskets for the clutch cover and another for the oil strainer so that's as far as I can get.

clutch.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions how to get the last little bits of 40 year old (??) gasket off. I'd welcome advice.

I have used an expired hotel access card and some brake cleaner to get the last bit of gasket off. Those access cards are a hard plastic and they have a pretty sharp edge.

....I thought of using my wife’s credit card - but thought better of it. :D

I have used an expired hotel access card and some brake cleaner

Ideal. I've been scouring the recycling and household rubbish for something hard plastic. I've loads of these (library cards etc. ) and never occurred to me. I'm probably being a bit fussy as there's only a little bit left.

I've no brake cleaner. I've carb cleaner some other solvents. I'll give them a try. Thanks @MaxPete,

Hope all "liking" and commenting are keeping safe and well.

Dave

Yup - doing just fine here on Canada's sunny southern coast Dave. Its good to hear from you again - that little chap in your avatar is cute.

Aside from the effects on the health of an awful lot of people, from where I sit this COVID-19 thingy is like a long boring vacation with an aged aunt who has lots of rules, but not much of a sense of fun.

....sort of like Aunt Mildred!
Scolding_Mother.jpg

Last edited:
You do have bikes to work on don't you?:rolleyes:

YES - dammit....and I have other stuff I have to do as well. I like being employed, but the working thing is getting old. :(

....and by the way young man - YOU also have bikes to work on...n'est-ce pas?

Last edited:
Max, your not working! Retire and then you go to work! There is no worse boss than yourself! Now I work my arse off and never make a dime! I keep saying, "I'll take tomorrow off!" It never happens. :laugh2: But, I do get to drink on the job, wear grungy clothes, pick my nose, scratch my arse and if somebody don't like it, I mark a spot for them to start kissing! :laugh: Has it's perks.

Max, your not working! Retire and then you go to work! There is no worse boss than yourself! Now I work my arse off and never make a dime! I keep saying, "I'll take tomorrow off!" It never happens. :laugh2: But, I do get to drink on the job, wear grungy clothes, pick my nose, scratch my arse and if somebody don't like it, I mark a spot for them to start kissing! :laugh: Has it's perks.

But I AM working Thuban - dammit.

that little chap in your avatar is cute

@MaxPete you've reminded me that I ought to change it. I saved it from God Knows Where on social media and used it on my twitter account. I thought it was great. Some time later someone I know asked why I was using a picture of him as a child. He wasn't annoyed or anything. He was amused. But I changed it and I've been meaning for months to change it here.

I like this flogging a dead horse cartoon too. Some here might be feeling this way at times.

thumbnail_image0.jpg

Good idea about the Access card @MaxPete but I used a section of copper pipe sawed and flattened into a sort of chisel which I then sharpened on a file and bits of wet and dry. Tried to gouge a scratch in my clutch side cover as a test. Didn't mark it. Happy days. Worked great with some WD40.

I know there's lots of expertise on this site but the wisest thing that's been said to me is on this thread.

I like to work on mechanics but when things don't go well or I'm getting tired, I'll switch to cleaning rags and polish. Many times I catch and correct "little things" while cleaning. Shiny bits also encourage further work and the urge to get 'R going.

kickstart.jpg

As the bike was quite shabby I was disheartened by the state it had gotten into. But although the paint, chrome and alloy will never be as new but every time I clean something up I'm surprised how much improved it is. I had to take the kickstart off in doing the starter problem so I gave it a quick once over with a Dremel and a little bit of Solvol Autosol. I know the rust is still there but I'm happy with this and a bit of wax polish should keep it at bay a bit.

Same thing happened with the exhaust and I've had a small "experiment" with some wet and dry on the alloy. So, before it goes back on the foot peg and brake lever will get a wizz over.

@gggGary is right. Shiny bits also encourage further work and the urge to get 'R going. Thanks mate.

Last edited:
I know in the past I've change the oil and cleaned the small oil filter. But I don't think I've ever dropped the sump plate. (Maybe all those years ago I didn't know you had to.) So today I did.

Fingers were all crossed for what I'd find. I know there's a reason I'm not superstitious …. it doesn't work.

oil strainer.jpg

Clean as a whistle, though. So I was quite pleased with that.

The smaller filter had some crud in it. Small bits of plastic but nothing worrying. Nothing on the magnets either so happy days. I'll put it back as is as a new one from Yambits is £40 and I'd rather fix it than buy something not much better. So, I'm on the hunt for a bit of aluminium and some JB Weld.

Yes, I've repaired lots of them. Most still had all the screen, just torn, so no added metal was needed, just the J.B.Weld. For gasket removal, I just use plain old paint stripper, it works great. Sometimes several applications are needed to get all the gasket off. No heavy scraping required.

I have a problem.

Took clutch out to fix the starter spring tension problem. Starter works like a champ.
Reassembled clutch. New gasket. Everything went back as before and I checked it against the diagram as I went, just to be sure it was in the right order and no PO mistakes.
When I offered up the clutch cover it wouldn't bottom. I had to jiggle the kickstart shaft so that it went back about another cm. Clutch cover went on fine.
I was very careful NOT to take out the kickstart shaft as I didn't want the nightmare of springs and stuff that I've read here.

Now the kickstart shaft is on but it won't turn the engine over. Completely jammed.

Before I take it apart again any thoughts? Does the kick start shaft have to be aligned in any way?
NB - The clutch cable is completely loose and I don't recall slackening anything off before I started but I was expecting to find the problem in the left hand case .

Anyway, tired and a little frustrated. So not a good frame of mind to start taking it all apart. Maybe after lunch and a cup of tea.

DaveO

As per a post by @XSLeo the tang needs to be preloaded into an area that gives it free movement. Its only been allowed to slip out a few millimetres but that's allowed the tang to slip into the wrong place. I'd presumed that so long as the springs didn't get dislodged I was "golden" but maybe that's not the case.

Anyway. That's my prediction. Out with the spanners again.

Back