So help me understand this "Drop seat"

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i'm checking out the gallery, gathering ideas...and then i saw this beast.

http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/03/metalheads-daily-driver/

I got some good idea from it, but i was looking over the specs....and I noticed it said it has a 2.5'' drop seat.........Idk to me it looks like a regular stretch hardtail, i don't notice any drop in the seat. or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Those of you who have been dealing with 650's longer than i have. The 2.5 drop in the seat.....that's just the seat area being lowered 2.5 right? or is that the hard tail being lowered 2.5?

I can't tell if the hardtail itself is droped either? can you guys?

That's not a knife; THIS is a drop seat:

34283_411840228733_604103733_4310818_4969881_n.jpg

Project, the one you linked is a drop seat, not as extreme as the one Jimmy posted. On a hard tail if the hardtails upper frame rails are even with the back bone of the original frame that is a zero drop. If the hardtail upper rails hook to the original frame below the back bone that is considered as a drop seat. On the one you linked the hardtail rails do hook on below the back bone. Not much but they are lower.
As far as the stretch and drop of the hardtail, the stretch is how far back the rear axle is moved back from the stock position. The drop is how much ground clearance you lose. A 4 inch stretch makes the rear wheel set 4 inches back from stock. A 2 inch drop lowers the ground clearance from the stock 5.8 inches to about 3.8 inches.
Neither spec has anything to do with how much the seat drops.

[

Project, the one you linked is a drop seat, not as extreme as the one Jimmy posted. On a hard tail if the hardtails upper frame rails are even with the back bone of the original frame that is a zero drop. If the hardtail upper rails hook to the original frame below the back bone that is considered as a drop seat. On the one you linked the hardtail rails do hook on below the back bone. Not much but they are lower.
As far as the stretch and drop of the hardtail, the stretch is how far back the rear axle is moved back from the stock position. The drop is how much ground clearance you lose. A 4 inch stretch makes the rear wheel set 4 inches back from stock. A 2 inch drop lowers the ground clearance from the stock 5.8 inches to about 3.8 inches.

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Leo is right I guess it does drop off from the backbone, but not much. I doubt there's 2.5" of drop below the backbone. That'd be hard to believe. If I were going to do a dropseat it'd either be custom or elswick.

. A 2 inch drop lowers the ground clearance from the stock 5.8 inches to about 3.8 inches.

Ok lmk double check something then. If he has only 2.5 ground clearance. Is that due to the fact that its a 16'' hes using for a rear wheel? or is it a combination of that, and a drop in the tail? I think he said theirs no drop.......but maybe i read somewhere and it could be false.....if their is a drop, than how much?

stock rear is 18 right? so it would be because of the wheel? i suck at math....

It is low because there the tail was built with a drop, the neck is raked to 38 degrees, and also a lower profile rear tire. Special models come with a 16 rear.

I make DROP SEAT FRAMES all the time and the bottom rail is same a regular hardtail but top rail is lower that backbone top. You can use a universal hard tail kit to get it done or just bend up some. Here are a couple pictures of my frames they are 6" not 4"
Now only problem with drop seat frame is you need to run after market Carbs or you have to make smaller air filters because it looks dumb with stock ones and they are in your lap.

Attachments

• drop seat 300.JPG
    drop seat 300.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 302
  • drop bike.jpg
    drop bike.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 301
  • dropbk2.JPG
    dropbk2.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
DaddyG, you talked about new air filters 'cuz of the drop. Now what about the battery on a brat? Like the Visual Impact kit to make the concave seat. I've seen it, but seems like there is no place for the battery due to the frame. Visual Impact has a picture of theirs with a battery turned, but it still seems to have a "space" issue. The rigid I know the battery is on the bottom. Any thoughts?

DaddyG, you talked about new air filters 'cuz of the drop. Now what about the battery on a brat? Like the Visual Impact kit to make the concave seat. I've seen it, but seems like there is no place for the battery due to the frame. Visual Impact has a picture of theirs with a battery turned, but it still seems to have a "space" issue. The rigid I know the battery is on the bottom. Any thoughts?

you plan on using the estart?

That's what it looks like on Visual Impacts bike. Turned and smaller. I was looking at my bike and it looks kinda like a pain. It's right on the swingarm. I love the look though and would like to do it.
xs650-chop-DSC04854logoedit-587x392.jpg

That's what it looks like on Visual Impacts bike. Turned and smaller. I was looking at my bike and it looks kinda like a pain. It's right on the swingarm. I love the look though and would like to do it.

So we don't hijack this any further. Post a new thread asking your questions and concerns and then we can talk about it there.

Back