so i begin rebuild and HUGE problem

skidmark760

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i bought this 82 xs650 about 4 months ago and after a bunch of miguiding bullshit i was finally ready to rebuild with mikesxs 650cc rebuild kit. I begin to take of oil tube and remove the timing covers and come to find out im missing the timing system!?!?...i have a manuel and the pictures clearly show i show have some type of spring powered timing mechanism behind these covers. I DONT!. I bought this bike knowing it had a severe backfiring problem, he even started it in front of me first kick and it fired just backfired really bad constantly. So im thinking its some kind of air leak or easy fix. Come to find out the guy must have removed the timing system because he needed the part. So my question is where do i go from here? please help

That's right. '80 and up eliminated that stone age bullshit behind the covers. The manual you're looking at is too old.

Clean the carbs according to all the info here, and pay special attention to the float level. Don't measure it using a tube. Measure it with a ruler. 22mm +-1 for your year. Consider new float needles and seats.

so no auto advance spring and clip should be under these covers? just a steel rod threaded on one end with exposed bearings around it?

Your engine originally had or has TCI (transistor controlled ignition) and does not have or need the mechanical advance or springs, contact plate, points and etc. The ignition control module is located under the battery. The magnetic ignition trigger device is located on the alternator. You should have a single (1) ignition coil with two (2) spark plug wires. One going to each plug.

nope. The only thing you sould see when you remove the chrome covers for what was the points and ATU houseings is the end of the cam and it's seal.

wow thanks for the quick replies. As you can see im not too smart when it comes to xs650 engines so im sure ill need help in the near future. I guess throwing that wrench in the wall cause i was pissed doesnt make sense anymore.

The factory shop manuals are on-line for free here .....

http://www.biker.net/

Download them and read them. In particular, read the "G" model and later supplements. They pertain to your later electronic ignition equipped model.

Aw, come on, 5twins, you're just jealous--I sure wish I was smart enough to rip into a motor without having to stick my nose in a book, and I don't mind admitting it. A tip of the lid to ya, skid!

I did that once many, many years ago. I split the cases on a little Honda dirt bike and all the gears fell out on the table, lol. After that learning experience, no bike work without a manual, lol.

Yeah, just think about how many years of schooling and reading a brain surgeon had to do, before they will let him cut your skull open.

While these engines may not be as complicated as a brain, its still a wise man that will take a few hours and read the manuals.:doh:

Back