So it begins. xs650 build

Before you get carried away and try to hook it all up and start her up be aware that sticking the coil on and then kicking it over can fry the coil
the spark plug leads have to have spark plugs in the caps and the threads grounded or you can damage the coil.... just so you know....
I got away with kicking my 82' through once or twice with out spark plugs in.... the leads were off the spark plugs and just dangling.... THATS A BIG NO-NO !!!!! , but I got away with it... and the bike still runs fine.... but don't make the mistake I did !
if you need more room on your brat style build you can push the foot pegs out to the front of the frame and move the controls to accommodate their new position....
I've always thought the XS650 seat is way too high and I'ed love to chop the frame and lower the seat just so I can touch the ground flat footed LOL
have fun tinkering but remember your safety is in your hands !
Bob.........

Update. Had first start up this week. Ran good, after fixing a gushing fuel leak from the fuel T, and discovering my ignition switch is junk! Kicked over extremely easily, but I’m accustomed to my Dr350 that is a real bitch of a kicker. Has starter wired in but the ignition switch failed so I bypassed it for the start test. The wiring was a fun challenge and I’m proud to say I got it right on my first try, simplifying the original schematic to my needs. After wrenching for near a year It was a rush to hear it come to life! Almost ready for the final financial push to finish! Lack of welding skills and cash has us needing the electronic box and rear fender/sissy bar mounts still, but I’ve got a plan for that to be done soon . Ive got a video but I’ll have to convert it to upload here, it’s on instagram if any of you are hip to that.

Attachments

• DA1AF2D4-2D9B-4239-BD09-8EF821870D6B.jpeg
    DA1AF2D4-2D9B-4239-BD09-8EF821870D6B.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 222
Fantastic ! it RUNS !!!!! now that is progress ! keep it up !
it's always great to hear the engine run for the first time !
Bob.......

Update. Had first start up this week. Ran good, after fixing a gushing fuel leak from the fuel T, and discovering my ignition switch is junk! Kicked over extremely easily, but I’m accustomed to my Dr350 that is a real bitch of a kicker. Has starter wired in but the ignition switch failed so I bypassed it for the start test. The wiring was a fun challenge and I’m proud to say I got it right on my first try, simplifying the original schematic to my needs. After wrenching for near a year It was a rush to hear it come to life! Almost ready for the final financial push to finish! Lack of welding skills and cash has us needing the electronic box and rear fender/sissy bar mounts still, but I’ve got a plan for that to be done soon . Ive got a video but I’ll have to convert it to upload here, it’s on instagram if any of you are hip to that.
What’s your insta name?

That has to be satisfying! I am a month or so away from that and I cannot wait!

Assembling rear end and installing chain. Hit a snag. First of all, chain is too short, add links? New chain?
Secondly, the chain rides right along touching the base of the rear shock!? Literally touching it. That ain’t right!!! They appear to be the Honda rebel type at 10.5” in length. If they are used often then why is it fucked here?
I plan on getting the 31t rear sprocket too.

Attachments

• F851CEBB-CB81-4859-B32B-BC78369D114A.jpeg
    F851CEBB-CB81-4859-B32B-BC78369D114A.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 192
Updates

Almost ready, solved all the major issues. Tore it down to bare frame and welded up some bits, cleaned up the hardware and re assembled. Got new rear shocks from DimeCity they fixed chain clearance issue and look great. New chain cut to fit, rear fender/sissy bar finished.
Finished wiring today, minus brake light and turn signals. The wires are ran but I’ve yet to mount the lamps. I’ve got a round brake light going way up on the sissy bar.

Tested it around the neighborhood, runs great and shifts easy. Really happy so far, I was afraid after all the labor I’d not love the ride.

Got a bit of an oil leak from the bottom of the motor, I’ll include a pic maybe someone can help solve that.
Gotta few things left but looking good to get legal and riding in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 0B26A61A-4E85-4C29-B4F8-7239C5922EA0.jpeg
    0B26A61A-4E85-4C29-B4F8-7239C5922EA0.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 33EB7004-5C86-4F43-B080-2E5AD9FF106D.jpeg
    33EB7004-5C86-4F43-B080-2E5AD9FF106D.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 194
Yes it turns out the clutch push rod seal is leaking. I’ve read through the threads and will be attempting to replace it.
Also, a short ride revealed a poor charge to the battery and I had a little push back to the house!
Some tests revealed a bad rotor, reading 1 ohm. That sucks, cause they’re not cheap and I’m soooo close to being done.
I had tested the charging system before wiring headlights, and without them it brings battery voltage up to 13.3 volts. With them on 12.8 volts. That’s at an estimated 3000 rpm rev cause I’m tachless. Clearly a faulty system and everything but the rotor tested good.
I’ve read through some threads about different rotor options but most are dated, any 2018 advice? I definitely need a strong charging system running dual headlights.
Good news is mechanically she runs like a dream and I was able to shift up through the gears and get a short ride in for the first time.

Back