so that's what you guys we're talking about...

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I just finished changing the oil and replacing the oil filters on my '75 since I wasn't sure the last time the PO got new filters. Boy was I glad I did, because part of the screen on the sump filter was torn like I've heard people say can happen. Already had a new reinforced sump filter from mikesxs and she should be ready to go!

Attachments

• 20140604_171430.jpg
    20140604_171430.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 332
Whenever I buy something used the first thing I do is go through it. Bought a "new to me" KTM lately and didn't bother to go through the bike. I just started riding it and for weeks I felt concerned about what I didn't know. I finally went through the thing and I have a lot more piece of mind.

As you get to know the bike you'll be a lot more comfortable riding down the road because you will know you can fix it if it breaks.

Clean up that old filter and patch it up. Nice to have a spare clean and ready when you change the oil.
I have several. Even have spare sump plates, just swap the dirty plate and filter for the clean and go.
Leo

If the screening is still all there and just torn, just cover it with JB Weld. If there's a section of screen gone missing, cut a patch from some sheet metal (a tin can will do) and JB Weld it over the hole. The screen makes an excellent backer for the epoxy, just like the fiber mesh sheet you use when fiberglassing. The whole section from just to the right of the magnet over to where yours tore is the weak section. You may want to cover all of that .....

SumpFilters.jpg

Back