So.... Who wants to help me with TW200 wiring?

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
First, hey guys... I know long time no see.. Life is a bitch, then you die. If you start your own business, it's an unforgiving bitch, you don't sleep anymore AND then you die....
Second, if you remember me. You know that I incredibly loathe wiring.
Last, this is a long one about my 2003 Yamaha TW200 with information as well as questions at the bottom.

Alright guys, I have looked around a bit and while I have found a lot of LED threads with questions. None of them quite help me because I'm wiring illiterate... I am swapping my stock TW200 speedo and dash for a small speedo with a dash built in. SO, I have a few questions. I also have a picture of the stock wiring, with a little list of the wires and what I know they are on the speedo.

The speedo has 10 wires coming out of it. I only plan on using 8 since I don't plan on installing an oil pressure switch. These wires were identified by their own little wiring "diagram". I added the list to the stock diagram for convenience, but here is the list again.

Speedometer Back light - (+)Orange- & (-)Black
High Beam Indicator ----- (+)Blue ---- & (-)Blue/Black
Neutral Indicator --------- (+)Green -- & (-)Green/Black
Turn Signal Indicator ---- (+)Yellow - & (-)Yellow/Black
Oil Pressure Indicator --- (+)Red ----- & (-)Red/Black - Not Being Used

I am pretty sure I know where to hook up the Speedo and High Beam as they seem pretty straight forward, but it's the combination neutral and turn signals that has me confused as they share the brown on the (-) side of the circuit (at least I think....). The letters in quotations are the stock wiring diagram codes for the color and represent the stock wires. All of the indicators that I am referring to are 19-22 on the diagram. Please feel free to correct anything below if you know it's wrong. Like I said, the speedo wires were identified by its own diagram and I tested them all on a 12v battery. My only confusion is on the TW side of the wiring.

#__Diagram Name ______ Diagram Wires & Color Codes_____________Corresponding New Speedo Wires
19. Speedo Backlight --------- (+) "L"Blue --- & (-) "B" --- Black/Ground ----------- (+) Orange & (-) Black
20. Neutral Indicator --------- (+) "Br"Brown & (-) "Sb" - Sky Blue ----------------- (+) Green - & (-) Green/Black
21. Turn Signal Indicator ---- (+) "Br"Brown & (+) "Br/W"-Brown/White* -------- (+) Yellow- & (-) Yellow/Black
22. High Beam Indicator ----- (+) "Y" Yellow & (-) "B" --- Black/Ground ----------- (+) Blue --- & (-) Blue/Black
*Plus an additional black/ground

PLEASE feel free to check and correct any of the above if it's incorrect...

Questions:
I know that with the turn signals there has to be some modifying to the wiring. All of the threads I would read would say to buy the "xyz" diode kit.. None of them (that I have read) say what it actually is. Is it just a 2 into 1 wire for the signal swap? Is there some form of resistor or something in between?

Why are there so many ground wires coming out of this speedo?! Why couldn't there have just been one master ground wire and the rest go to their corresponding wires in the harness? What (-)Ground wires can I just tie together? What ones can I cap off? Can I just tie them together and cap the others off?! I'm trying to simplify, not over complicate...

Originally, I thought that since the Neutral Indicator and the Turn Signal Indicator were tied into the same wire "Br"Brown, that Brown must be the (-)Ground (diagrams look like cave drawings or hieroglyphs to me). However, I decided to test the Neutral Indicator to see if that was correct. I hooked the (+)Green to the "Sb"Sky Blue and the (-)Green/Black to the "Br"Brown and shifted the bike up and down, in and out of 1st-Neutral-2nd. With it wired that way it wasn't working, BUT it would briefly blink when it was being shifted in and out of neutral. Not sure why, but it would. I then reversed the set up (Green to Brown & Green/Black to Sky Blue) and it worked flawlessly. So this is where I'm confused on the Neutral/Turn Signal wiring; why are they sharing the hot wire and not the ground?! How does that work?

I'm concerned that if I tie the Turn Signal Brown and Brown/White wires into the "diode kit" that the neutral light will come on when using the signals and the signal light will come on when in neutral. Since they share the positive side of the wire. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Who can save this Bropunzel from his cursed wiring tower of doom?

Jim

Last edited:
Long time indeed......cant really help, but im sure someone will. Last time you were around you got hit by a mini van.

Jim.... Sorry but I can't figure out what you want !?!?!?! I know electrics a bit I'll help if I can, but I've never messed with your dashboard/spedo thingie ! and doubt many have ...have you talked to the company that sells it to see if you can connect the grounds ?i suspect Not or they would have done that and saved money on the extra ground wires.... which leaves WHY... what do the extra ground wires do ? you said that the schematic diagram of the dashboard/spedo was at hand ... can you take a pic of it and post it ?
.....its MY GUESS and that's all it is is a GUESS is that you can connect all the grounds together except the neutral indicator light one, because that is what the neutral switch does is ground the wire so the power is on the neutral light all the time it's just not grounded.
I don't think the brown wire is a ground that's the turn signal and or power in the front.... I THINK..... black is ground , not the brown
I really am out of my depth here and Hope the other guys will see the new post and lend you some real assistance.... I'm killing time and hoping ! LOL
it really shouldn't be all that hard to hook up and diodes and such shouldn't be needed I don't think sounds like just indicator lights in the spedo/dashboard thing get your magnifier and make darn sure your looking at the right wiring diagram and then trace the wires and their colors....
Bob........

Last edited:
Jim.... Sorry but I can't figure out what you want !?!?!?! I know electrics a bit I'll help if I can, but I've never messed with your dashboard/spedo thingie ! and doubt many have ...have you talked to the company that sells it to see if you can connect the grounds ?i suspect Not or they would have done that and saved money on the extra ground wires.... which leaves WHY... what do the extra ground wires do ? you said that the schematic diagram of the dashboard/spedo was at hand ... can you take a pic of it and post it ?
.....its MY GUESS and that's all it is is a GUESS is that you can connect all the grounds together except the neutral indicator light one, because that is what the neutral switch does is ground the wire so the power is on the neutral light all the time it's just not grounded.
I don't think the brown wire is a ground that's the turn signal and or power in the front.... I THINK..... black is ground , not the brown
I really am out of my depth here and Hope the other guys will see the new post and lend you some real assistance.... I'm killing time and hoping ! LOL
it really shouldn't be all that hard to hook up and diodes and such shouldn't be needed I don't think sounds like just indicator lights in the spedo/dashboard thing get your magnifier and make darn sure your looking at the right wiring diagram and then trace the wires and their colors....
Bob........

Hey Bob,
Not sure what happened, but I guess the attachment I uploaded over at the TW forum disappeared?! I edited the original post to include it from my photobucket.

Nevermind... Against EVERYTHING that I have read up and down the TW200 forum... I apparently don't need a flasher relay, don't need a diode kit and don't need to alter my 2003 TW200 stock wiring in anyway... I just used an LED laying around the garage and tested the turn signal indicator wires and it works flawlessly.

I don't know what makes mine different, but everyone over there had to run wires, wire in a "diode kit" and put in a new flasher relay to get their turn signals to work properly.

However, in my case, I didn't do any of that and mine work... Maybe the guys over at the TW200 forum just overthink things? Who knows. Thank you, Bob for trying to help me. I may be hitting you up whenever I finally go to work on my XS650 again...

I 'm not entirely clear but if the only turn signal LEDs you have are the indicator bulbs in your new dash board you wouldn't need to change anything on the bike, the standard bulbs out in the stalks provide plenty of load to trip the flasher. Your diagram is too small, fuzzy for me to read or follow but most neutral wires on bikes ARE the ground side of the circuit, the neutral switch grounds to the engine, other side of the bulb goes to a hot wire. LED bulbs are polarity sensitive, will only light with hot on one side not the other so you had to exchange the wires to get the neutral bulb to light. That's my guess anyways, glad you got it hammered!

I 'm not entirely clear but if the only turn signal LEDs you have are the indicator bulbs in your new dash board you wouldn't need to change anything on the bike, the standard bulbs out in the stalks provide plenty of load to trip the flasher. Your diagram is too small, fuzzy for me to read or follow but most neutral wires on bikes ARE the ground side of the circuit, the neutral switch grounds to the engine, other side of the bulb goes to a hot wire. LED bulbs are polarity sensitive, will only light with hot on one side not the other so you had to exchange the wires to get the neutral bulb to light. That's my guess anyways, glad you got it hammered!

Everything is LED, all 4 turn signals, the running lights, the dash lights and soon to be the headlight. Just click on the picture and you can follow it to the full size. That one is shrunk down to fit on here. I know the switch itself is the ground, but the Turn signals and the Neutral switch share the hot wire for their dash lights.

I know they are polarity sensitive and that is why everyone said that I needed a "diode kit" because on the TW each side of the turn signals (Right and Left) hooked into opposing sides of the dash light. According to everything that I had read, I was supposed to have to clip both of those wires under the tank, install the diode kit, run a hot wire back up to the dash on the positive side and run a ground wire out the other side.

However, on my bike, I haven't replaced the Relay to accommodate for the reduced draw or any of the other steps that everything said on the forum. I'm starting to understand why so many people are having problems installing LED turn signals with a LED dash light. Some of them are probably doing what I thought I had to do... Then none of them function properly.

KOOL ! Glad you dove in there and figured it out yourself ! LOL sorry I wasn't much help but glad you got it working
LOOKS KOOL TOO !!!!! I don't think this old feller has ever seen that bike before ... what's a TW200 anyway ?
Bob...........

KOOL ! Glad you dove in there and figured it out yourself ! LOL sorry I wasn't much help but glad you got it working
LOOKS KOOL TOO !!!!! I don't think this old feller has ever seen that bike before ... what's a TW200 anyway ?
Bob...........

Like who makes it? Yamaha makes it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TW200

I love the little thing. It is a little underpowered for my fat ass, but otherwise it's pretty great. I can use it to scoot around the property and check my traps or I can run into town and grab a case of beer. Works for me at around 70mpg!

Here is a comparison shot of what the Tail light/head light/turn signals look like stock.
D04.jpg

100-002-g7_4.jpg

I don't know about diving in there. What all of the threads on there were saying to do just didn't seem right to me. So I said to hell with it. I'm just going to use the oil pressure light on the speedo to just see (not using that light anyway). I figured all of the turn signals worked without adding a new relay to operate them, why not just plug this up and see if it will work.

It did. They are overthinking it over there and caused me to overthink it. Hence, why I posted over here hoping that someone over here could get it right.

Last edited:
Well...overhere didnt help. You figured it out on your own. Good job. And it gave you a chance to connect with us old timers. Good to hear from you. Dont be a stranger, eh?

Well...overhere didnt help. You figured it out on your own. Good job. And it gave you a chance to connect with us old timers. Good to hear from you. Dont be a stranger, eh?

I just loathe wiring. I may or may not have burned up several pamco's back in the day which didn't help my hatred for wiring.

I won't be too much of a stranger. I am looking at possibly getting out in the garage this summer to work on the XS, but we'll see. I'm still just dreaming of Hugh letting me drop it off at his house and let him do something wild with it. (if you know how he feels about that, you know it will only ever be a dream.. ha)

Tevans scoot turned out real wild, but looks still very rideable. Although, a one gallon gas tank wont take you too far. We all have dreams. Dream on. Nothing wrong with using ideas frim someone's biuld

Tevans scoot turned out real wild, but looks still very rideable. Although, a one gallon gas tank wont take you too far. We all have dreams. Dream on. Nothing wrong with using ideas frim someone's biuld
Yeah, but Tevan works there and lives in Asheville, Probably did most of the work, etc. Although... The last time I showed up at his house we did rebuild the engine, the best that we could anyway.... Maybe I will just tell him to set aside a week for me to come down and we just build something wild.

Yeah, 1 gallon tank won't get you far, depends on what you want to use it for though. You can always have 2 tanks. One for when you're long hauling and one for style around town!

ohhh neeto I wonder how much they would give me for the XS650 as a traide in on a new TW200 that more what I need LOL
it's not like I can ride 65 miles one way anymore.... I gott'a be realistic ! HAHAHAHAH!
Bob..........

ohhh neeto I wonder how much they would give me for the XS650 as a traide in on a new TW200 that more what I need LOL
it's not like I can ride 65 miles one way anymore.... I gott'a be realistic ! HAHAHAHAH!
Bob..........

Stock tank is a 1.8g tank so you know you can go further than that! New, I think they are only like $5k.

so is it a 2 stroke ? ..... ahh I just gott'a go look that puppy up !
looks like a fantastic back woods bike to me ! and liscnses to go get beer ! just what I need ! HA !
Bob.........

LOL yah I saw that ! Phooie ! I was hoping it was a 2 stroke but it seams Yamaha don't make 2 strokes any more !
that's SAD ! I've had 3 DT1 250cc yamaha's in the past good reliable machines even if the early ones had alot of fitting errors in the cylinder...they still managed to go like a bat out'a hell !
I did a "Light portinh job on one of the early DT1's for a fella he just wanted a little more power was all so I convinced him that making the cylinder and the case FIT like it was supposed to would help quite a bit..... so he had me do it.... he came all the way back out to my house
to tell me WOW man what a difference !!!! LOL I said yah can you imagen how many they have sold like that ? with the cylinder sticking half way into the port ? and we laughed about that a while ! the next week he brought a friend out and his friend had 3 bikes of verious types
and wanted to know how long would it take ????? thuss started my business I had that grew into a shop and had it for 3 years then it just petered out... and I decided to call it quits !
...God that was a long time ago ! seams like life times ago ! HAHAHAH ! but to this day I still prefure 2 strokes ! HA !
Bob........

LOL yah I saw that ! Phooie ! I was hoping it was a 2 stroke but it seams Yamaha don't make 2 strokes any more !
that's SAD ! I've had 3 DT1 250cc yamaha's in the past good reliable machines even if the early ones had alot of fitting errors in the cylinder...they still managed to go like a bat out'a hell !
I did a "Light portinh job on one of the early DT1's for a fella he just wanted a little more power was all so I convinced him that making the cylinder and the case FIT like it was supposed to would help quite a bit..... so he had me do it.... he came all the way back out to my house
to tell me WOW man what a difference !!!! LOL I said yah can you imagen how many they have sold like that ? with the cylinder sticking half way into the port ? and we laughed about that a while ! the next week he brought a friend out and his friend had 3 bikes of verious types
and wanted to know how long would it take ????? thuss started my business I had that grew into a shop and had it for 3 years then it just petered out... and I decided to call it quits !
...God that was a long time ago ! seams like life times ago ! HAHAHAH ! but to this day I still prefure 2 strokes ! HA !
Bob........

Under current EPA regulations, I don't think they can make 2 strokes anymore... My XS is ported to fit my "boots". Just a little bit will definitely make a difference... If it's running that is...

Back