some hardtails

IMO fat rears need to stay with the cookie cutter bikes .. its right up there in functionality with chrome ,tassels , and bolt on drag pipes (ok maybe the pipes have a purpose but thats not why most credit card bikers get them) .. I cant foresee a 40 something hp engine fairing well over time with a set up like so .. not to mention the clutch and trans ..

im not a expert .. this is just my opinion

but to each his own:shrug:

Id ride with you either way :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone with a hardtail is concerned with unsprung weight. :D

And my FZ1 has a 190 rear tire :)

I have looked at all of them like them all. TC bros is nice and simple also. Was kinda looking to build my own.

make up a jig and make some measurments and bend up some tube. Just need to make sure you locate your axle plates correctly then its just kinda like connecting the dots. just make sure everything is level..

the kit by Travis is top notch...I've used tc bros kits, Bird's tails, and a couple others in the past...I'm a big fan of all of the options Travis gives you. I'll be using it on my build off bike which I should be starting this week.

I'll add Cheney Engineering to the list. They make copies of the old Sonic Weld competition rigids specifically for the XS650. They have a basic frame setup but they can accomodate any changes you'd need (pretty much).

http://www.flattrackaccessories.com/frame.shtml

They also have swingarm frames for the XS650 as well. All of their frames are TIG welded 4130 chromoly by the way, which is great stuff for bike frames when welded properly. Their frames seem to come complete with footpegs, footpeg brackets, some rear brake brackets of sorts, engine mount plates and bolts, headstock bearings (they can install any type of headstock on their frames, so if you needed a headstock from let's say a Harley for whatever reason, or some other headstock type, it would be no problem for them), and rear adjusters. They also supply an entire array of front and rear wheel hubs/rims/and so on, as well as a really neat quick-change rear end assembly that's for flat track bikes but would look hyper-trick on some sort of bobber/chopper. They also have brakes, triple clamps, plus piles of other stuff, check their website out.

Jerry Cheney has been making frames since sometime around the day the wheel was invented.

(I'm not affiliated in any way with Cheney Engineering, neither professionally or personally).

Attachments

• Cheney XS650 Sonic Weld Frame - 1.jpg
    Cheney XS650 Sonic Weld Frame - 1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 072_SonicWeldHonda31Q.jpg
    072_SonicWeldHonda31Q.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 414
I am contemplating doing a drop seat build at some point and was thinking of using an XS650 frame to start with this time, anyone know of a drop seat tail still out there? Most of the links here are dead so wondering if anyone knows of drop seat tail kits that I could not find between this post and straight google searches.
If I had to make one I just assume make the whole frame and go nuts, tail is the hard part.

If nothing else can always probably just use a Harley soft tail rear end kit and make it air ride or forgo the air and just do just plain old shock rear end. Frankly this is probably easier especially if wanting to go with a bigger rear tire.

SftZp0.jpg

Last edited:
Back