some wiring diagrams

whats up everyone noob to the forum here need some help.i have a perfect 81 xs harness i would like to know if anyone has used there stock harness on a hardtail build/chopper build and if not guide me in the right direction thank you

I made my own due to using aftermarket parts and updated charging system. Plus the original harness use bulky connectors. To each there own. besides the PO had more extensions on the wiring harness than At&t

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't do it yourself I do make custom wire harness and take your old one in trade for $25.00. Hardtail harnesses start at $125.00
Go to classified under reg/rec and I answered a question on the ones I sell or you can contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM
You can do it yourself with cutting up your harness but it take me 3 hours to make up a nice one and if you don't know what you are doing it may take longer. You can also go on YOUTUBE and see some I did. YOUTUBE DADDYGCYCLES
There are good diagrams on here for you to follow. I have done more than 10 for guys on here and have built over 50 of them so I am not new at it.
Rich

Attachments

• 2014-02-20 09.32.07.jpg
    2014-02-20 09.32.07.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 2014-02-20 09.31.58.jpg
    2014-02-20 09.31.58.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 258

This is how I wired the bike but I'm not getting any spark to the plugs...if you guys need more pictures or another video I can do that no prob. Really need the help guys. Thanks

OK here is what I would do .
First you don't need PMA to start bike ALL you need to do is run a hot wire to the coil and the PAMCO Run your ground and wires off pamco THERE IS NO CONDENCER USED!!!!
FROM A BATTERY
Ground black NEGITIVE to frame or motor
Run hot wire from battery to fuse to pamco and coil
THATS IT bike should kick start if NO spark you fired PAMCO
PMA is a two wire setup GROUND and HOT 12 volts
ALSO PLUGS MUST BE IN MOTOR GROUNDED or you have the chance of firing PAMCO
PAMCO DIRECTIONS TELL YOU THAT.
I always install PAMCO and leave 12 volt wire for last and never had any problem but first one I ever bought burned it up in 10 mins because I did it wrong. MY FAULT! They are the easiest to install and work great.

OK here is what I would do .
First you don't need PMA to start bike ALL you need to do is run a hot wire to the coil and the PAMCO Run your ground and wires off pamco THERE IS NO CONDENCER USED!!!!
FROM A BATTERY
Ground black NEGITIVE to frame or motor
Run hot wire from battery to fuse to pamco and coil
THATS IT bike should kick start if NO spark you fired PAMCO
PMA is a two wire setup GROUND and HOT 12 volts
ALSO PLUGS MUST BE IN MOTOR GROUNDED or you have the chance of firing PAMCO
PAMCO DIRECTIONS TELL YOU THAT.
I always install PAMCO and leave 12 volt wire for last and never had any problem but first one I ever bought burned it up in 10 mins because I did it wrong. MY FAULT! They are the easiest to install and work great.

Thank you sir for replying. I don't know why I said condenser instead of capacitor lol my apologies. First questions is what size fuse should I use, 20 amp good?

Pamcopete suggest a 7.5 amp fuse for the ignition.
Leo

okay thank you..im currently running a 20 amp but ill replace it with a 7.5..good news is that i got the bike running. i was not getting any spark to the plugs because as you can see in the video there was no fuse in the fuse holder :doh: lol. thanks to you all who helped and replied.

Hope someone wouldn't mind looking at my wiring diagram. Specifically the the Power to Coils part. I wanted to run a very small, micro button kill switch and I was worried about burning it out, so I thought a relay would do the trick and I could power the coils through my relay and kill power in the same manner. Hope I'm not too far out to lunch on this.

Any advice would be appreciated. It's a stock charging system on my 1980.

CURRENT%20XS650Chopper%20wiring%20diagram.jpg

The numbers you have marked on the relay aren't quite right. No 36, it's 30. But other than that it's how I have mine. My 39 year old engine stop switch on my 75 even when cleaned up isn't the best, using the engine stop switch to trip a relay is well within it's capability.
My 75 is wired a lot like that. On the brown wire to the reg/rec and brushes I have running of a fuse instead of off the key switch.
Leo

Have the headlamp wired exactly the same way this diagram shows:
CURRENT XS650Chopper wiring diagram.jpg

Headlamp won't turn on. I recently wired up a mini-speedo and was wondering if that may have anything to do with the headlamp not turning on.

I have two wires left over from the "headlamp" indicator light of the original set up:
images.png
The middle indicator light is the "headlamp" light. The mini speedo doesn't have any wires for these specifically. According to the diagram it shouldn't matter, though.

The headlamp light is good as we tested with a straight connection to the battery.

Any ideas I could try?

Thanks

With the dash in the photo, it will have a high beam indicator light (blue when lit) and a neutral indicator (green when lit).

I am running a small sized speedo as well. The red wire from the speedo goes to a power fed wire that remains on all the time. The black wire goes to a GOOD ground. Remember that there are front end items that are rubber mounted, with that said ensure the ground is attached properly.

check this out, try wiring the speedo separately, temporarily to try the figure below.
full

what type of mini speedo are you using? Drag specialties? If so, which one; for example does it have indicators on the small dash for signals and high-beam etc.?

The one I am using has only two wires. Red and black. However, again it has to be a good ground to either the frame or a wire designated going to ground. Most headlight buckets are rubber mounted as are risers from handlebars to top of triple trees.

I picked up a 77/78 XS650-E in the weekend, that has had all the electrics removed.
Missing from the box of bits is the old style seperate Regulator. (has the old rectifier).
To test the bike actually starts can I use this diagram set up without the regulator?
Debating weither to replace it with a reg/rec combo or find a old regulator.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I picked up a 77/78 XS650-E in the weekend, that has had all the electrics removed.
Missing from the box of bits is the old style seperate Regulator. (has the old rectifier).
To test the bike actually starts can I use this diagram set up without the regulator?
Debating weither to replace it with a reg/rec combo or find a old regulator.

Yes, you can test run the bike without the regulator.

I use the VR-115 regulator on my bike and highly recommend it. It was used on AMC cars in the 1970's. Its available as NOS, from places like Ebay, and is not expensive.

The old stock rectifier badly needs to be replaced. Modern silicon rectifiers do a much better job. You can use 2 bridge rectifiers or one 3-phase rectifier. Must use a heat sink.
Use the Google custon search in the upper left corner to find the threads that show you how to do it.

Don't buy a combo rec/reg. They are expensive, and its much better to have the rec and the reg as separate units.

Thanks. I'm going to pull the headlight wire from the harness to separate it from the mess and see how it's exactly laid out. Hopefully simplifying the mess from the previous owner in the process.

thanks for the info retiredgentleman, Manage to get a spark on both sides so I will now happily invest alittle more into the build.

Back