1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

some wiring diagrams

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by inxs, Oct 14, 2009.

1. I may have some because I printed a lot of them. Let me see this week and if I have some I will post. Had them all on old computer but it crashed and I lost a lot. Life goes on LOL

2. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    ^That would be great. Do you print them out full size and lay the wires on it?

3. I am just going to copy prints and post what I got
    Also some of the old ones have the running light on all the time so a switch for lights will solve that if you don't want to run lights all the time. If you are using stock or aftermarket turn signal/horn/high-low switch you will need to just add a toggle on / off for lights and running light can be attached to on side. This is ONLY if you are making up your own harness or buy one of mine. Stock aftermarket harness has this already .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. peterg

peterg XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Canada
    Below is the wiring diagram for my 1980 Special. An M Unit and custom harness was installed. The handle bar controls are stock. Hope this is valuable to someone working with an M Unit. Sorry for the hand draughting and crappy print quality.
    wiring diagram black brat.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  5. Geoffrey Straet

Geoffrey Straet XS650 Enthusiast

Hello,
    Would someone have a handy coloured wiring diagram for a xs E 78? I can see there is a bunch of files here but I can't open most of them. Thanks!

6. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

the 87 SE from Skull
    [​IMG]
    and the 77D also from skull which is about the same as the 78 with perhaps the rear brake lining switch and headlight on off switch went extinct on the US models.
    [​IMG]

Geoffrey Straet likes this.
  7. Geoffrey Straet

Geoffrey Straet XS650 Enthusiast

Great! Thanks Gary!

8. WPGxs650_brat

WPGxs650_brat XS650 Enthusiast

Combing through this site like a mad man.

I'm trying to learn electrical and wiring. I plan on using a 4 blade fuse box (front light, back light, blinkers, ignition). Here is my "first" question.

Law says in I need a horn. (See attached) any issues with powering the horn switch from the lead wire going from the fuse box to the toggle switch (on/off/on)?

I get if may cause the light to dim when the horn is used, at the same time. But this would be minimal.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

9. gggGary

you are going to run the headlight through the on off on? what about the high low beam, that switch won't do that. Any wire that will handle the horn amps will work. Normal is to just run a hot to the horn and blat it by grounding it.

10. WPGxs650_brat

Good to know I can add the horn in. As for the head light through the toggle switch, it works! its wired in and working

11. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

I'm thinking the switch being used is a SPDT switch like the one shown below. The center or "Common" terminal is connected to the wire from the fuse box and low beam wire goes to one of the other terminals and the high beam to the other.

SPDT.png

Jim and gggGary like this.
  12. gggGary

He says on off on, that is dangerous in this application. Switch should on/on only, no center off position. all it takes is a fumble with a cold gloved finger to leave you blind on a dark road.

Jim likes this.
  13. WPGxs650_brat

Bingo!

gggGary likes this.
  14. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Agree, would not want a switch with an "off position" in the middle working the headlamp.!