some wiring diagrams

I may have some because I printed a lot of them. Let me see this week and if I have some I will post. Had them all on old computer but it crashed and I lost a lot. Life goes on LOL

^That would be great. Do you print them out full size and lay the wires on it?

I am just going to copy prints and post what I got
Also some of the old ones have the running light on all the time so a switch for lights will solve that if you don't want to run lights all the time. If you are using stock or aftermarket turn signal/horn/high-low switch you will need to just add a toggle on / off for lights and running light can be attached to on side. This is ONLY if you are making up your own harness or buy one of mine. Stock aftermarket harness has this already .

Attachments

• diagram1.png
    diagram1.png
    538.1 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Below is the wiring diagram for my 1980 Special. An M Unit and custom harness was installed. The handle bar controls are stock. Hope this is valuable to someone working with an M Unit. Sorry for the hand draughting and crappy print quality.
wiring diagram black brat.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Would someone have a handy coloured wiring diagram for a xs E 78? I can see there is a bunch of files here but I can't open most of them. Thanks!

the 87 SE from Skull
78_xs650se-png.22983

and the 77D also from skull which is about the same as the 78 with perhaps the rear brake lining switch and headlight on off switch went extinct on the US models.
77_xs650d-png.22982

Combing through this site like a mad man.

I'm trying to learn electrical and wiring. I plan on using a 4 blade fuse box (front light, back light, blinkers, ignition). Here is my "first" question.

Law says in I need a horn. (See attached) any issues with powering the horn switch from the lead wire going from the fuse box to the toggle switch (on/off/on)?

I get if may cause the light to dim when the horn is used, at the same time. But this would be minimal.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180403_084633.jpg
    20180403_084633.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 355
you are going to run the headlight through the on off on? what about the high low beam, that switch won't do that. Any wire that will handle the horn amps will work. Normal is to just run a hot to the horn and blat it by grounding it.

you are going to run the headlight through the on off on? what about the high low beam, that switch won't do that. Any wire that will handle the horn amps will work. Normal is to just run a hot to the horn and blat it by grounding it.

Good to know I can add the horn in. As for the head light through the toggle switch, it works! its wired in and working

Good to know I can add the horn in. As for the head light through the toggle switch, it works! its wired in and working
I'm thinking the switch being used is a SPDT switch like the one shown below. The center or "Common" terminal is connected to the wire from the fuse box and low beam wire goes to one of the other terminals and the high beam to the other.

SPDT.png

He says on off on, that is dangerous in this application. Switch should on/on only, no center off position. all it takes is a fumble with a cold gloved finger to leave you blind on a dark road.

He says on off on, that is dangerous in this application. Switch should on/on only, no center off position. all it takes is a fumble with a cold gloved finger to leave you blind on a dark road.
Agree, would not want a switch with an "off position" in the middle working the headlamp.!

...some simplified wiring circuits...

chopper-wiring-png.87301

simplified-wiring-cap-pma-pamco-jpg.88175

simplified-wiring-cap-pma-pamco-e-advance-jpg.88176

79PointsSchematic.jpg

650wiringchoppervh0.jpg

Electric3.jpg

xs650allyears.jpg

xs650.jpg
Hey guys
I'm building a 1980 XS. I'm using this last diagram (1981).Could someone please tell me what the brown and green wires from the rec/reg are going to? It's the only thing not labeled? Are the wires capped? Are they grounded?
Thank you in advance

Hey guys
I'm building a 1980 XS. I'm using this last diagram (1981).Could someone please tell me what the brown and green wires from the rec/reg are going to? It's the only thing not labeled? Are the wires capped? Are they grounded?
Thank you in advance
The angled block is the alternator brushes.
chargingii 001.JPG

IMG_20210306_163927.jpgcould you also please tell me if my momentary start button is in the right spot?
I have it spliced into the blue striped wire off the solenoid.
Blue striped in blue striped out to ground.
It is working and starting the bike but before I start permanently wiring I wanted to make sure.
I've read and read and looked at diagrams and can't find much for the momentary start button. Is the kill switch in these diagrams assumed to be the same location as the start button?
Thank you, I've gotten tons of advice and information from this site over the last 2 years and have only had to ask 2 or 3 questions this being one of them

View attachment 186362could you also please tell me if my momentary start button is in the right spot?
I have it spliced into the blue striped wire off the solenoid.
Blue striped in blue striped out to ground.
It is working and starting the bike but before I start permanently wiring I wanted to make sure.
I've read and read and looked at diagrams and can't find much for the momentary start button. Is the kill switch in these diagrams assumed to be the same location as the start button?
Thank you, I've gotten tons of advice and information from this site over the last 2 years and have only had to ask 2 or 3 questions this being one of them
Yes the start button provides a ground for the solenoid. Provide a ground wire from the battery to up to the headlight and handlebars. Grounding through the steering bearings will quickly destroy them. Many handlebars are isolated by rubber bushings so a ground from them to the harness ground in the headlight is also needed. You also need to provide a ground WIRE from frame to engine, grounding through engine mounts will create lots of problems down the road, or more accurately, on the road. The "simple" diagrams don't point these little gotchas

Back