some wiring diagrams

so it's the kind where where "start" (when you push it to that position) is a "momentary" switch that activates the starter? or switch on and then you have a separate starter button?

it is a momentary start and then turns back kinda like a car if that is the wrong kind any suggestions on the right one i need to buy the guy at napa said it should work but you never know how much knowledge those guys have

ok, not sure but that may be an important part of the situation. I think a normal 3 wire ig switch needs red for power in, then gives you a brown wire out and a blue wire out which both give power back through the bike for various things....but maybe not for "starter activation" on..
maybe one of the wiring guys will chime in.

Jimmy5090, I have an 81 that acts they way you described. The bike has a bad charging rotor. When the battery gets a bit low the ignition won't spark while cranking. It sparks when you turn the switch on and off, a nice fat blue spark, but none while cranking.
What ignition are you using and is the battery charged?
If you notice, people have stuff written below their post. That's their signature. People put the bike info there so people can give you better answers.
Some of those switches have several connections on the back. One is power in, one is ignition , one accessories, one the start.
When you turn the key to the start position it turns off the accessories so all the battery power goes to the ignition and starter.
If you have the ignition wired to the accessories and the acccessories to the ignition that might make it act the way you describe.
One way to check would be to put the switch into the on position and use the kickstart to check for spark. Then try it in the acc position. If it's no spark in the on, and spark in the acc, then it's wired backwards.
Leo

Thanks alot! Ill check it out!

you can pull up a better pic here, my album
full

Tell me if im right or wrong, on a simplified wiring diagram,will the red and white wire off of the coil go to the ignition, and the orange will go to the extra wire coming from the stator... is this right/??

red/white is the hot lead to both coils, orange goes to one set of points from one coil, the other coil runs a gray to the other set of points, the stator is part of the charging system it has nothing to do with the ignition on a 79, they are separate circuits

Ksboy19;

Yes one wire to kill switch and then the ignition switch. The other side of coil goes to the points. If you have a single coil with points, that means you a dual output coil. You either have both set of points tied together in parallel, or you have a single set of points with a dual lobe ignition cam.

Attachments

• XS650 all years.JPG
    XS650 all years.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 366
THis is what im workin with, this is my alternator and the wires comin out from under the left side cover.. its a 79

Attachments

• 0506112239-00.jpg
    0506112239-00.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 294
  • 0506112240-00.jpg
    0506112240-00.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Im starting to wonder.. cause even the vin came back as a 79.. so the wires coming out from there are standard for a TCI ignition?? I took a TCI off of it, but its a 79 which should be points so i was severely confused. Maybe you can clarify.

Back