spark plug confirmation please

KeithB

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1980 XS650 Special and the Clymer manual seems to indicate a BP8ES spark plug.
This is a non resistor type but NGK shows a replacement as a BPR8ES.(R is resistor type)
Currently I'm running BP7ES with Mike's XS "high output" coil.
I suspect the 7 is a bit on the hot side.
What is the correct plug?

Keith,

That's strange. I'm looking at my Clymer, Eighth Edition, 1996 Printing, on page 166, Specifications - 1980 XS650G, SG under electrical and it says:

Spark Plug Type: BP7ES

:wtf:

Looking on page 141 of my Haynes manual for the 1977 to 1983 models, Ignition system specifications, I read:

Spark plug type: XS650(UK) BP8ES
Spark plug type: XS650 SE(UK) and all US models BP7ES

I was using the BP7ES but switched to the IX (irridium, noticeable improvement ) . My factory service manual covers all XS up to '83 says the same, BP7ES .

How is it running ? Are you fouling plugs or running lean ? Is there a reason to switch heat range ?

Last edited:
Whichever heat range you decide on, don't use the "R" type. You already have resistance built into the system via the spark plug caps. You don't want to add more.

Thanks for the clarification Pete
Bike is running great and the plugs are clean but I just wanted to be sure.
My Haynes (not Clymer...DOH!) manual shows "B-8ES" then beside it shows "BP-7ES" (for C models)
In the front page of the manual , it shows C models as '74-'77 so it left me to assume that I should be running an 8 non resistor.
BP7ES it is and that's what I have.
Thanks all :)

The B-8ES was the factory recommendation for the early models, not sure why.

It wasn't very clear in this manual and I don't think I have actually seen a B8ES.
Good to know I have the right one installed now.
thanks 5 :)

Back