Sparx Capacitor "Review"

pereiracycles

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't posted much here, but thought I'd throw out my first impressions of the Sparx capacitor. Last year my stator failed, so I installed Hugh's PMA. I love the PMA upgrade. Been wanting to get rid of the battery for years since I'm set up kickstart only. After going back and forth in my head trying to decide between small battery and the capacitor I finally thought, "it's less than $20 for the Sparx...just try it dummy."

So, I got online knowing Lowbrow carried them, but they were out, so a little google found me sevensinschoppers.com. They have them for $17.95 shipped.

As soon at the box arrived I popped it open, disconnected my battery cables, jumpered the Sparx on to the bike and it started on the first kick! That night I had some time to spend on it, so I re-routed some wires, pulled the battery box, made a replacement bracket and mounted it securely. It's still in a bit of a temporary state--I'll probably make a nice little tool tray eventually, but it's a runner for now. Here are some pics:

Sparx is under the seat next to my fuse box where the battery used to be. I made this electrical panel years ago when I first built up the bike. Next up will be to get rid of the heavy gauge battery wires:
9444248121_618d0acff2_b_d.jpg

Here's where the battery used to be. You can see my tool wrap strapped to the new "battery box eliminator" that I made and now you can see my lawnmower right through the frame!
9444247769_a59f158198_b_d.jpg

Not a great shot, since I was too lazy to move the bike, but here's the whole bike:
9447033276_f6781d8dd5_b_d.jpg

Still need to tidy things up and build that tool tray, but install was a breeze.

On to the performance.
I rode about 100 miles the other day after the install and here are my impressions.
I've got a H4 headlight and normal filament bulbs in the tail and turn signals. I need to turn off the headlight to start it, but then it starts on the first kick (as usual). Once running I can turn on the headlight and it burns at almost full power when idling. If I have a signal on the headlight will dim with each flash of the signal. It is a little starved for amps at idle and will stall if it hiccups at all. Electronic ignition might help with that. I'm running points now, but will likely install a Pamco or something in the future. Otherwise it works great and *seems* to be a little more responsive without the strain of having to charge the battery (this is probably just wishful thinking).

I'm thinking I'll try replacing signal and tail light bulbs with LEDs since that's another inexpensive change. I live in a city, so I feel safer having and using signals.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked about the change and the bike looks WAY better without that boat anchor of a battery. Wish I'd done this years ago.

That's it. Hope someone finds this info useful.

-Tony

nice lookin' scoot! i've been thinking of going with the capacitor but wasn't clear in what i've read if you can still use all the old filament style bulbs. i'm sure the led's will help though. does your horn work fine?

I'm wiring up a sparkx in the next couple weeks. thanks for the review. It's good to see another bicycle nerd in to cool motos. I've seen a few of your frames and they are impressive

I'm wiring up a sparkx in the next couple weeks. thanks for the review. It's good to see another bicycle nerd in to cool motos. I've seen a few of your frames and they are impressive

Thanks man. Hey SLC! I lived there for many years before moving to Portland. Loved heading out Emigration to East Canyon and out towards Morgan, etc. Great riding. Taught myself how to corner up by Big Mountain. Also started building bicycles in SLC and there is a pretty heavy concentration of them around there.

nice lookin' scoot! i've been thinking of going with the capacitor but wasn't clear in what i've read if you can still use all the old filament style bulbs. i'm sure the led's will help though. does your horn work fine?

Horn works as well as it did before...at least when scooting along. Didn't try it at idle.

I run 2 sparx capacitors, and it seems to help prevent stalling at red lights.

I'm running one on my XS. I have no complaints at all. Just running the minimum here in AZ; light, tail/brake light, ignition, and horn. Starts first kick all the time.

Back