Special handlebars to XS bars

gasgas

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have 1980 650 Special and considering changing handlebars to XS type bars? Just I just like the looks of XS bars? What bars you recommend and what problems will I have with stock controls and cables?
Thanks

I have 1980 650 Special and considering changing handlebars to XS type bars? Just I just like the looks of XS bars? What bars you recommend and what problems will I have with stock controls and cables?
Thanks

Hi gasgas,
you mean the ergonomically disastrous stock rototiller bars?
Unless you are over 7' tall with your wrists hinged at 90º to most folks' those things reduce the bike's rideability by at least 50%.
A normal person's best use for them is for a tenor note in a windchime.
But what bars are right for you?
It's like shoes, you gotta try them on to see if they fit.
Visit your local bike shop and try out their rack of bars.
Or try a local bike swap meet, I've never been to one yet that didn't have a table selling used bars.
Hold each bar out in front of you in an approximation of your riding stance and pick one.
Be prepared to guess wrong a time or so.
I've always just kept the stock length controls and cables, sure you'll need to snake them around a bit more but they'll still work.
Watch the clutch cable though. Never mind trying to tuck it away so it don't show, the least bends it has the easier it'll pull and as you may have noticed, the XS650 don't have a light clutch pull.

the early bars that are simular to dirt bike barswithout the crossbar are a good choice. i put a set on my 80, and made a world of difference. i found a goo set on ebey for $40. description said they were bent, yes, but just barely.also the early bars are solid on the ends, keeping vibes down, and making the mirrors useable.

Yep, what Angus sez...... One of the first changeups that I did for my Specials was to go with the stock Standard xs bars with the weighted ends. For me the comfort and control is perfect.

I like euro bars honda 750 bars are a bit higher and more bend not quite as much as the XS standard bars.clutch and throttle cables will be too long, the wires for the controls will be long also. I have thread about routing a special clutch cable to use it with shorter bars. rerouting the throttle cables will take care of the excess there also.

Also the brake hose will likely need some special routing.

Hi Brassneck,
yeah, the Special brake line needs to be snaked about some with lower bars but it still works as well as it did before.
Take the snakey shape as a hint to upgrade to the appropriate length stainless brake lines.

Hi Brassneck,
yeah, the Special brake line needs to be snaked about some with lower bars but it still works as well as it did before.
Take the snakey shape as a hint to upgrade to the appropriate length stainless brake lines.

The front brake will work better.

Back