Speedo works, odometer doesn't, is there a fix?

Norton7d

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I recenlty found a somewhat nice set of 76 gauges on Ebay, the seller told me the speedo worked but odometer and of course the trip meter stopped functioning.
I have checked out the speedo, it does appear to function properly for MPH, but not for distance, no movement of the dials.
Is there a fix, internal broken gear or component?
If there is a fix, I assume this means opening it up.......uuugh!

Pretty much all gauge info is in this thread.........lot of links to other gauge threads as well
http://www.xs650.com/threads/70-83-...damper-replacement-replace-face-decals.52013/

Post #5 has pics of a 76 Gauge internal............be the same internal from 76-83.......Look at pic 5 and 6, (open them in another tab if possible), the drive cogs and shaft for the trip/odometer can be seen................The actual speed o, needle drive, is run from a magnet as can be seen in the pics

Thanks Skull, I had previously seen that thread(s) although I didnt see anything that specifically addresses when the dials stop spinning, has this been discussed?

Thank you

On a side note, I see many 76 gauges which have chrome bezels, mine are black and Im near the end of the 76 run from a numbers standpoint, was this a mid-year change?

Last edited:
The pics of the internals showing the cogs will give an indication of where the problem will lye.........maybe a cog has stripped its splines.

No idea on the change with the bezels..........i have a few 76 gauges that are chrome, bought a NOS 76 speedo that has a black bezel !!!!..........mind you that was from Canada

I recenlty found a somewhat nice set of 76 gauges on Ebay, the seller told me the speedo worked but odometer and of course the trip meter stopped functioning.
I have checked out the speedo, it does appear to function properly for MPH, but not for distance, no movement of the dials.
Is there a fix, internal broken gear or component?
If there is a fix, I assume this means opening it up.......uuugh!

G'day from OZ,

Sounds like the odometer wheels have stripped one or more of them.

The only fix is to send it to an Instrument Shop and ask them to repair.

You can try and troll for the parts yourself but, it is a precise science like alchemy.

I used to repair them and the most important part of the project is to locate all of the broken teeth so that they do not get caught up in the rest of the mechanism at a later date.

Good luck.

GeeDubya

Back