Speedometer, tachometer lighting

Scottrt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I am putting the internals of a 1978 speedometer into my 1983 motorcycle because I like the 120 mile-an-hour divisions. Other than the faceplate and calibration, the only way they really differ is the odometer reset knob and the lighting. The lighting on the 83 is by a single wedge base bulb. The lighting on the 78 is two metal-based bulbs and does a much better job. Now I'm curious about the tachometer, I would imagine my original one has just one bulb and it's going to be much more dimly-lit than my new speedometer. Can anyone confirm that tachometers that use wedge bulbs only use one bulb at the top or do they use two, one top and one at the bottom? Also, I was able to swap my total mileage odometer from the original speedometer into the 78 speedometer I will be using, so that's cool.I could not figure out a way the spin the numeral wheels while the gage was still intact so I simply swapped out the entire cluster on its shaft as an assembly. Finally, late model speedometers have a trip meter with an additional cogwheel with a large detent at zero that assists in removing the knob. This is not present on the previous edition gauges for example the 1978 one, and I was unable to unscrew it prior to pulling the gauge out of the housing. Also, I found a source for new needles just like the originals at a reasonable price, and if anybody knows where I can buy the new black foam surrounds for less than $22 a piece please pipe in. Thanks in advance for any insights on tachometer lighting.

Last edited:
Thanks!! to 650SKULL for the exploded diagrams that show my 83 Tacho has 3 wedge bulbs. I hadn't taken it off the bike, as it's fine, but was worried I should look for an '78 version to replace it due to illumination deficiencies. but looks like I should be OK.

There's another difference too, they don't have a small brass insert to fit on the stem of the meter itself, just a black plastic nipple with a hole that is slightly too small. I don't foresee a problem sizing it up slightly for just the fit you'd want when pressing it onto the gauge.

Back