Split carb mounts after 3 months

that's not really good. Any kind of "step" after the carb will produce turbulence. Something a friend of mine who fabbed up his own found out. The difference between those and a set of real ones with a proper matched taper was night and day.

My 2nd set of XS Performance carb mounts have given up on me:wtf:
Fortunately I got some decent ones to replace them with but need to fit a non vacuum fuel tap as no barbs on the these. Got that too, just need to find the time :doh:
Will post pics of the condition of the 2nd set when I get them off
Cheers Kev

As suspected my second (free) set of "XS performance" carb mount had split badly on the left carb, tho the right seemed ok :confused: Guess it would of followed suit if Id left it a little longer. Have now fitted a TourMax set, made in Japan, tho these have no vacuum barbs so have also changed the vacuum fuel tap for a "normal" one :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC00255.jpg
    DSC00255.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC00257.jpg
    DSC00257.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 282
Sundie, check out MMM's Hi-Vo mounts at 650 Central. The bores are tapered to match the port inlet diameter and have AR traps machined into the outlet end. They've been available for VM 34's for about a year, and Michael has just added VM36 mounts to the line, though they haven't made the website yet.

yeah, i'm running 38's. Looking at JBM's, i'm thinking he's got a good solution. And he makes diaphragms now too, with good results reported in another thread.

edit: checking, i noticed he offers 38's too. But i can't run them - stock airboxes.

Price will be $54 per pair without vacuum barbs, $58 per pair with vacuum barbs. Shipping additional.

The JBM Industries web page for the carb holders is:

http://www.jbmindustries.com/HOLDERS.html

Don't forget to look at his CV carb diaphragms while you are there.

END EDIT 04/02/2010[/COLOR]

These will be available in the next few days.

Wade Dunham

Edited original post to save space.

I just ordered a pair with the barbs....took all of two minutes and got them in the mail two days later. $58.00 plus a small shipping fee but well worth the peace of mind. :)
Will be installing this weekend. Thanks for putting up the link!:thumbsup:

Tom

yeah, i'm running 38's. Looking at JBM's, i'm thinking he's got a good solution. And he makes diaphragms now too, with good results reported in another thread.

edit: checking, i noticed he offers 38's too. But i can't run them - stock airboxes.
???? :umm: Why do you reach this conclusion?

Using the angled BS 38 carb joint boots align the carbs perfectly parallel to each other and at the angle required to join to the air stock air boxes.

I'm sorry that I didn't notice this earlier Sundie but JBM does offer angled BS 38's carb joint mounts to properly align the joined carb sets of 76, 77, 78 & 79 BS 38's parallel to each other and aligned to the stock airboxes. I've just mounted them. I think the confusion arises due to the fact that he also offers the "straight" flanged mounts that the earlier years XS-1,2 TX 650 and XS 650 A & B utilized with their unlinked carburetors and dual throttle cable controls. Of course they would not align the linked carbs of the later years to the stock airboxes....that's the whole point of the angled boot design.

ie. Why do you conclude that you can't run JBM BS 38' Angled Carb Joint Boots? Is there some other issue I'm missing?

I've recently mounted them to a bike and have another set to mount this weekend all with stock air boxes. They're all I use. Moreover, you can get them with or without the vacuum barbs to operate either or both vacuum petcock/sychronization port.
He supplies an excellent set of barb caps with them if you choose to use manual petcocks as well and utilize the barbed ports just for synchronization.

http://www.jbmindustries.com/HOLDERS.html

Check this page over one more time please.

Please re-examine the matter. PM if there's something I might help with? Blue

Great Sundie glad to hear it! I think you'll be pleased. I just bought another pair of the
angled BS38's from JBM myself. A super tough, stong product molded of an excellent rubber compound. Fuel resistance concerns will be in your rear view mirror. NOS Yamaha stock were also very good.....if you can still find them. I hang on to that unused set yet. Best, Blue

Wish I would have seen this post sooner. :doh:

mine look like this after about 3 months and 300 miles on the bike...

Im running the dellorto carbs off of mikes xs and was thinking of now going with the TCbros set up, but after reading this thread am not considering the jbl set

and words of advice?

thanks

What carb holders are you using with the Dellorto carbs? What are the dimensions etc?

Are you having a fuel resistance problem them them? etc. Blue

its mikes bs34 ones ... by fuel resistance problems do you mean the fuel eating away at the rubber? if so not that i know of.

Back