Spoke question again...

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok this is probably a dumb question to most people but I don't know the answer.
I needed spokes for my bike but it was already gone getting powdercoated. And I don't know how many spokes there is. If I bought too many for either wheel will they still work? ie. I bought 96 spokes and I think it might be 64.

Thanks for any help...

Posted via Mobile

Mikes. 650central didnt have them. The shipping time feels like a month when it's only about a week...

Posted via Mobile

can we get a little more info? are your wheels stock?

Most of the time you can find your answers here if you are unsure :thumbsup:

Ok. When I said I asked dumb questions some people didn't believe me.

I just opened up the sales receipt from mikes and it says 64 spoke front and 48 spoke rear. That's probably what it is. I talked To someone on the phone and they said 96. I think thats where i got that from. Now is there a chance the rear isn't 48?

It's a 1983 with what I think are stock wheels.

Man I'm dumb...

Posted via Mobile

the question isn't really the problem most of the time. Most of the time people don't give any information to help us help them. kind of like in this instance. We have to interrogate you to find out everything

the question isn't really the problem most of the time. Most of the time people don't give any information to help us help them. kind of like in this instance. We have to interrogate you to find out everything

I was just asking as a general spoke question. "would more spokes be a different length as less spokes?" I forget that you guys know just about everything there is to know about these bikes. I'm too used to being around other people that don't. (like myself. This is my first. Everyone starts somewhere). Thanks for the help anyway...

Posted via Mobile

ok heres a basic break down (big jimmy correct me if im wrong) you probably have a 18 inch rear and a 19 inch front. both wheels are 36 hole wheels and you will need 36 spokes to lace up the hub and rim. for one of your wheels there are two different types of spokes, which if ordered in a kit half will have longer heads than the others, and the same goes for your other set of spokes.

you might need this
http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/12/how-to-lace-a-wheel-from-scratch/

and yes I got extra spokes and nips in my order

Yes, Mike's now usually includes 2 extra spokes (one inner and one outer) per kit which is nice. No, spokes from 48 and 64 piece kits probably won't fit on 36 hole rims and hubs. Lengths probably differ and the angle at the hub may also be different. But you never know, compare your new spokes to the old ones. Slightly longer by a MM or 2 usually isn't a problem but shorter may be.

Cool. I just want to make sure I have the right ones or they'll at least work. I hate thinking my bike is gonna get back together and then having to wait for more parts.

I think my front is 19-64 and my back is 16-48. Mr. Morse said they were being weird in 83 and trying to make them like the Harleys and added more spokes...

Posted via Mobile

ok heres a basic break down (big jimmy correct me if im wrong) you probably have a 18 inch rear and a 19 inch front. both wheels are 36 hole wheels and you will need 36 spokes to lace up the hub and rim. for one of your wheels there are two different types of spokes, which if ordered in a kit half will have longer heads than the others, and the same goes for your other set of spokes.

you might need this
http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/12/how-to-lace-a-wheel-from-scratch/

and yes I got extra spokes and nips in my order

I know he has a heritage special (via his profile). So I know he's looking at heritage spokes.

Back