spoke vs mag

tuba6869

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see most people running spoked wheels, mine came with mags. Are the spokes a better option or just use them because of the looks?

I wouldn't say they're any better than mags. Like you said, it's probably more of a "looks" thing. A re-done, all polished up spoke wheel certainly does look sharp. Much higher "bling value" than the rather bland looking mags.

Hi Tuba,
wire wheels are 'way prettier, especially the deep groove aluminum rim ones.
Mag wheels are easier to keep clean and will run tubeless tires.

If we are discussing OEM (stock) XS 650 wheels, I believe the "mags" only come in 16" for the rear, making the bike a tad lower in the back, and also limiting tyre selection somewhat.

The "Standard" XS spoked wheels came with a 2.15x18 rear rim and a 1.85x19 front rim. One big advantage of spoked wheels is that you can change to a different rim diameter and width if you want to, while keeping the stock hub and brakes. Some here on the forum choose to use 18" in the front as well, again giving a better selection of tyres, as well as a little bit quicker steering.

Some builders use 19" mags in the rear, converting the hub using different bearings and machined adapters. Personally I am not 100% sure if this is a good idea, as the 19" front mag is too narrow for the tyre sizes people like to use on the rear.

thats my thing i just am not sure if i wanna spend all kinds of money for wheels, new spokes, having them trued vs just using my mag wheels and doing speed holes

Its been my experience that a mag + tubeless tire has some advantage if you are unlucky enough to pick up a nail.
I've had tubed tires go flat almost immediately after running over a nail.
But I've had tubeless tires still have reasonable pressure when I took the wheel to the bike shop.

Some of the new big-$$$ bikes have a special spoke design that allows them to be tubeless.
Provides the best of both.

Hmmm first post :)
If doing a bobber (rigid rear) you may want to consider a spoke wheel rather than mag as they are a little more forgiving if they fail,easier to fix and less prone to crack/shatter...
You dont see a lot of mags on motocross/dirt bikes :)

thats my thing i just am not sure if i wanna spend all kinds of money for wheels, new spokes, having them trued vs just using my mag wheels and doing speed holes
Nothing wrong with the mags, but drilling "Speed Holes" may not be advisable, despite what some "builders" do.
Try to find any "speed holes" on bikes built by Richard Pollock, Jeff Palhegyi or Walt Siegl. These guys build some of the finest custom bikes around, without compromising structural integrity of critical components. And I'm pretty sure most of their builds would run circles around any bike with "speed holes" Just my opinion though...

Tuba if you would be interested, I just purchased a 77 XS650 with spokes and be willing to trade the spoke wheels for the mag wheels. Let me know….

I dont mind the look of the mags to be honest. New powder coat and they come up pretty nice. Certainly a lot cheaper than a set of spoked wheels. It would be about 400-500 US to buy a set of second hand dirty arse spoked wheels in New Zealand, if you can find them at all.

Spokes look good until you pick up a nail doing 70mph. That's when things get very nasty.
I returned from a 5500 mile trip on my bike with alloys and found 2 nails in the rear when I got home and no loss of air.

I've been all over the country on alloy spoked wheels, never had any problems. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Funny thing is that when the bikes were produced, everybody wanted mags. I bought a new Special II, back in 81 with spokes. (So long ago I can't remember, might have been a leftover 80?) It was cheaper than the mag wheel models. Now everybody thinks spokes are way cooler, LOL.

ha thats pretty funny. not sure what color would compliment the mags. i seen them in white which looked really good but not looking to do white

Back