Springer Advice

Higgy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'll be building a new bike this winter, and I have a few questions. This will be my first XS build. I've been into bikes since I was nine years old - 48 years ago - but as is the case, there is always gaps in someone's knowledge base. One of my gaps has to do with springers. What is the difference between a $400 springer and a Paucho springer that cost $1500 (besides $1100 :laugh:)?

I want to put a 21" front wheel and the Harley neck bearings, and I figure that doing it up with a springer fork would give me the look I'm after.

If one of you kind folk could give me a springer primer, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Name style . Most of your $400 springers are mass produced . Some of your NAME brands like Sugar Bear and other are built to order. The $400 springer works fine I have install over 5 of them and they only have one week spot I found but its a easy fix.
Set screw that hold stem is not counter sunk and can move.

Long ago there were some issues with cheap flat-plate rockers. Not enuff rocker pivot pin bearing area and the stability of the front end would get sloppy at the first sign of wear. The better rockers had wider pivot bosses (trunnion), like on original Harleys.

Another quality issue was the type of back legs. Some were round/solid (heavy), or round/hollow (flexy). The better springers used oval/tapered/hollow back legs (stiffer & lighter), like on original Harleys. Old Ford straight-axle tie rods were a good source of back leg material.

I think the "Chopper Handbook" has some good info:

http://www.chopperhandbook.com

Last edited:
Back