Springer forks

I guess what I will have to do is find a -2" and a -4" springer and put it on the bike and see how either one looks and decide if I want it shorter or longer or what.

Ok, here goes.

Pic 1. Just took the OEM bearing top/bottom.
Pic 2. Flipped it, used as spacer.
Pic 3. Put the bearing on.
Pic 4. Part # for bearing.
Pic 5. Race top(would not focus)
Pic 6. Race bottom(again, focus)
Pic 7. Clears nicely on the bottom, needs bottom spacer.
Pic 8. Top nut back on.
Pic 9. I broke my glove. You can send me a check or money order for $.03

I hope that helps.
I'd like to say those are HD bearings, but I got the bike from the PO in pieces. I can tell you they are not the tapered bearings made to fit the XS. I have a set of those, and the angle of the taper(?) is different. The OD of the races are the same. So everything else fell into place.

So did you run into the same problem that Ardcore mentioned?

There is one thing that is never mentioned on any of theses springer threads and that is you have to modify the stem nut...unless you don't mind running it with 2 threads..

I'm going to be putting a springer on my XS and I'm trying to make sure I get everything right.

Big jim those trailer bearings work great. And NoValidTitle, I'm going to mod a different piece. Nut goes on fine. There is another piece (don't know what it's called), that I'm modding. I'll take pics when I get back from vacation.

Big jim those trailer bearings work great. And NoValidTitle, I'm going to mod a different piece. Nut goes on fine. There is another piece (don't know what it's called), that I'm modding. I'll take pics when I get back from vacation.

Thanks man, ever come up with a solution for a dust cap?

Ok I'm back, but tired. So no pics tonight.

1. No to the mike's set, races are different.

2. The races are with the bearings in that pic. Just call them up and ask if they come as a set, some do.

3. How come I'm more tired after the vacation then before?

Ok so I have an issue with races already. I got a 1" bearing set, same part number as listed earlier in this thread. The bike shop ordered them for me from their parts catalog. I got both bearings and the races for $13. The problem is the races don't fit the neck. Here is a pic of the factory race(left) and the new race(right) standing next to each other so you can see the size difference. What is the part number of the proper race to fit in the XS neck?

4532589894_a597116cac_b.jpg

Those races are for the L44643 bearings? Mine fit the neck perfect, and they're a matched set. I don't know why they would be different then mine. I know that NAPA carries the bearing so they're going to carry the race. There must be more then one race for that bearing. My dad works at one. I'll give one of my old races so he'll have the OD. If the carry the part he'll match it. It will take 2-4 of days to get the info.

Those races are for the L44643 bearings? Mine fit the neck perfect, and they're a matched set. I don't know why they would be different then mine. I know that NAPA carries the bearing so they're going to carry the race. There must be more then one race for that bearing. My dad works at one. I'll give one of my old races so he'll have the OD. If the carry the part he'll match it. It will take 2-4 of days to get the info.

Yup those races came with my L44643s as a set. It has a part # stamped on the race but I don't have it in front of me right now. Thanks for getting that info for me.

Talk to my dad tonight he say they probably make different races for that bearing. He'll look it up in the morning.

I think the only way to get races to fit the xs neak is to buy the set from Mike's or one of the sets from ebay.

hi guys,i was planning on using this kit to install a dna springer fork on my 74 xs bobber projet.his anybody familiar with this kit or as someone used it. thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bros...8599233QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Oh that looks perfect. Combination of the right races and the right bearings. Looks like it would save you $10, instead of buying the yamaha kit from from mikes for $40 and $10 more for the bearings you get it all for $40. I might have to grab that and have an extra set of bearings. That is unless someone out there has the part number for the races. I would imagine once we have the right race part number we can buy the bearings and the races for much less that $40, unless races cost $30.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. My dad couldn't find it in the books. Then I called a allied bearing, all they do are bearings. They said the the same, don't make them. I don't know what to tell you. I have them, so someone must make them. Maybe the PO got this ebay bearing kit. When I got the bike it was in parts. I put the races in myself. The bearing and the race matched, same taper atleast. I wish I would have got the number off the race before pressing them in.

Back