Springer forks

I would imagine once we have the right race part number we can buy the bearings and the races for much less that $40, unless races cost $30.

Didn't think to start with the race and work back. I'll call allied bearing again and ask if they have a bearing with a ID of 1" in combo with a race with an OD of 1.875". If there is a bearing company near you, you can call them.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. My dad couldn't find it in the books. Then I called a allied bearing, all they do are bearings. They said the the same, don't make them. I don't know what to tell you. I have them, so someone must make them. Maybe the PO got this ebay bearing kit. When I got the bike it was in parts. I put the races in myself. The bearing and the race matched, same taper atleast. I wish I would have got the number off the race before pressing them in.

Didn't think to start with the race and work back. I'll call allied bearing again and ask if they have a bearing with a ID of 1" in combo with a race with an OD of 1.875". If there is a bearing company near you, you can call them.

Thanks, I think I might take a shot in the dark and see if Mikes will tell me the part number on the race in the tapered conversion kit. It seems to be cloudy but a few people have said that the races from Mikes accept the 1" ID tapered Harley/Trailer bearing.

hi guys,i was planning on using this kit to install a dna springer fork on my 74 xs bobber projet.his anybody familiar with this kit or as someone used it. thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bros...8599233QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

For the record, I contacted this guy to see if his kit included bearings and races because I looked closer at the auction and it just says install his spacer, do some grinding and the forks fit. Well he wrote back and said his kit adapts the factory bearings and races to work with HD forks. I'm really curious/frightened about how well that works, but I wont be buying it.

Damn, now I'm confused. I called allied bearing back they say no one makes a bearing/race set to those ID/OD. I HAVE A SET. I'm confused.

Thanks, I think I might take a shot in the dark and see if Mikes will tell me the part number on the race in the tapered conversion kit. It seems to be cloudy but a few people have said that the races from Mikes accept the 1" ID tapered Harley/Trailer bearing.

I bought a xs650 tapered bearing kit through ebay, and the taper doesn't match. Could be different then Mikes though.:shrug:

I can't find the bearings on Mikes site to see if it's the same. Do you have a link?

I bought a xs650 tapered bearing kit through ebay, and the taper doesn't match. Could be different then Mikes though.:shrug:

I can't find the bearings on Mikes site to see if it's the same. Do you have a link?

This is the kit from mikes: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-20.html#28-2009

The guy at the shop I go to are building an XS now also, they bought a kit but didn't get the part number from the race itself before he pressed it in. They got their kit from allballs(kit part number 22-1015). I just emailed allballs to see if they would give me a part number for the race only.

When I was talking to the guys at the shop I told them that you had measured the race at 1.875" and they said they came up with a different size but didn't write it down, and the bearing place they talked to didn't have a race in the dimensions they took.

Okay peeps first post on this site, so hello all! Alright i did the -2 under dna springer and ordered that part from bros like 74xsBobber was saying they had, surprisingly when it got here there was no bearings, it came with some instructions tho and me and my buddy put it on last night and it worked perfect. The part they send is a cnc'ed spacer that drops in on the bottom side of the springer holding up the the old races, you use all your old races and bearings and the spacer piece just lines it all up.. i had to shave down the id on one of the top race very lil and the spacer they sent a little too but everything is on and smoother than the original front was. it may be 40 dollars but it worked easy enough and i had the forks on in less than an hour and half..

Did some research on the timken website, there 16 possible combinations for the L44643 bearing, going to the BC bearing to match something up they got tonnes of stuff, hoping to do a combination of bearing to outer race bringing my 650 Direct bearings to match up .:thumbsup:

And for my friends whom wonder what the hell I have been up to well lets just say 3 jobs and lotsa debt have kept me busy:banghead:

Ok so I talked to Timkens engineering department and our local bearing suppliers called BC bearings whom I have used for many years supplying bearings for my Production facility. And the short answer is no BUT!!! I bought one of the kits to adapt a springer front end to a Yamaha neck and it is a simple spacer/bearing insert $40 bucks from bros what it does is it fits in the stock bearing race of the XS and you only need one because the upper bearing is a hair on the 1" shaft of the springer. I am using it on a girder i built from Billet and dom tubing which I have since Chromed (fricken expensive). If that makes sense to you ?OOOOOHHH man they jacked the price to $69 bucks since I purchased mine ......I guess there is a demand for them.

http://www.brosmfg.com/kits.html#Yamaha_650_Special

So DNA 2 under springer forks + Fork Adapter will work fine with stock xs bearings?

What about the front wheel? Is it the same size axle? Run a different (Harley?) front wheel?

Got it all worked out. Shaved a little off the bottom of the head(3/32"). Flipped half of the old bearing, used it as a spacer. Used Harley bearings that I had. Smooth as silk. Do I need to pack those bearings, or just some light oil. I still have to figure out some kind of dust shield, top and bottom.

Harley sells dust sheilds for 1"....or go to the hardware store and buy the chrome sleeves that go over a shower tube and enlarge the hole in the middle to fit your stem.

Didn't read this whole thread...you probably have alresdy resolved this.

Alright I bought the bearings off amazon from "all balls racing" great kit but they must do something special in their kits as it looks like one of the bearings uses a diffrent taper then what the trailer bearings use.

I got the all balls racing kit then put the 1" tractor bearings in it as posted earlier and this is what I come up with.

8d3f85dd.jpg

:wtf:
Im guessing the bearing on the right is not going to work.

So my next question is how do I get the proper races to mount these bearings in.

One of the bearings that is in the kit is .988 in diameter (the race on the right that is a different taper) , but i could only guess how hard its going to be to grind that hardened steel to 1"

Any suggestions.

I bought the kit from Mikesxs and the timkin bearings and they do work... i dont know if you all still care but here is the info im able to provide with pictures, i will also privide some pictures when i install..
Picture #1 - Bill
Picture #2 - The kit from Mikesxs (races and bearings
Picture #3 - Races from the kit
Picture #4 and #5 - Timkin bearing #L44643 in mikes xs races
Picture #6 - The kit number that comes from parts plus (ssy500) also another glance at races and bearings fitting..

Thank you and sorry Mike

Charlie...

Attachments

• P4280012.JPG
    P4280012.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 433
  • P4280006.JPG
    P4280006.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 412
  • P4280001.JPG
    P4280001.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 444
  • P4280007.JPG
    P4280007.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 469
  • P4280008.JPG
    P4280008.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 405
  • P4280010.JPG
    P4280010.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 406
madeindetroit, Can you show a pic of just the trailor bearing next to the All Balls bearing so we can see the difference in taper?
Leo

in addtion, there are numbers on the races from the kit supplied via MikesXS.
although I got them here in holland the article number is the same SSY500.
the racers have number 48KS and 48YS.
looking at the racers the YS is the one which is about 2mm higher.

only I forgot which racer goes where... anyone knows?

any final figures on what to use? i am ordering my frt end next week and want save some cash instead of ordering from tc bros for $650. found them on ebay for $400 shipped. just need final bearing instructions.

I'd say get The beating set from mike's assuming yr in The states and get The tinken Harley bearings. Costed me 65 euro but worth every penny. Only solution i need to find is the dust cap.

i got the harley 2" under springer from bobberpros off ebay today. I already had what is suppose to be 1" bearings from my local tractor store and they were metal stamped with the L44643 part number everyone is saying is the right bearing to use. The bearings fit in the stock races I had from my project yamaha just fine. But they don't fit over the springer neck stem??? Now the bearings I purchased were not the Timkin brand but they were 1" bearings and they did have the L44643 number on them. So where did i go wrong? Do I take these bearings back to the tractor supply store and try to order Timkin or do I just go to a machine shop and have someone take a few mm off the i.d.of the bearing or neck stem? :doh::shrug::banghead:

Back