Springer set up. PLEASE HELP!!!!

kiser1991

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
my name is justin and i am new to this sight and i wanted to see if i could get help on my build i am doing. I have a 1983 xs650 and i am wanting to put a dna springer front end on my bike. Let me say i have spent hours and hours researching forms how to and what to use. I am aware of tc bros and im not going that route. out of all the posts i have looked at there is alot of confussion on what berrings to use. So if there is anyone out there that can tell me if i am corrwct or wrong in what to.buy i would be thankful. So what i have come up with is i need
1. Race bearing kit from mikes xs-part num. 28-2009
2. Timken bearing set for hd glide or springer front end. Mr luckys.com pt# 142b comes in a set
3. All balls steering stem kit from amazon pt#22-1015
I think I need these to there dust shield for hd glide or springer mr luckys.com pt#142a
So thats what I need to know before I order. If someone could tell me if im right or wrong please do so. Thanks!

There are many good instructions on how to install a springer on a XS650 on here. So i don't know what else to tell you. I have installed over 15 on XS650 and you can by the bearings anywhere they are 1" for the DNA same as a trailer bearing. Buy the bearing kit for a XS650 and use the races with the 1" bearings and the only two hard things you are going to have to do is cut about1/16" off bottom of neck tube so bearing is flush and on the DNA i take the allen out of the stem and drill a indent so it sits in deeper so the stem cannot move. THATS IT all the rest is installation of parts. Here are a couple i have done and if you do a sportster front end its the same. White frame bike has 2000 sportster front end same stem size and 1" bearings.
GOOD LUCK WITH your Build

Attachments

• frame&springer.jpg
    frame&springer.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 420
  • xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,862
  • th_kutz.jpg
    th_kutz.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 466
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 637
  • 100_0856.jpg
    100_0856.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 650
There are many good instructions on how to install a springer on a XS650 on here. So i don't know what else to tell you. I have installed over 15 on XS650 and you can by the bearings anywhere they are 1" for the DNA same as a trailer bearing. Buy the bearing kit for a XS650 and use the races with the 1" bearings and the only two hard things you are going to have to do is cut about1/16" off bottom of neck tube so bearing is flush and on the DNA i take the allen out of the stem and drill a indent so it sits in deeper so the stem cannot move. THATS IT all the rest is installation of parts. Here are a couple i have done and if you do a sportster front end its the same. White frame bike has 2000 sportster front end same stem size and 1" bearings.

i have just dropped my 77xs 650 frame off with ram jet racing to have a dna springer front end done they were scratching there heads a bit on how to go about it so i did the home work and sent them over the above info which seems to be the common answer in a rough estimate what should this cost me to have done its my first build and id like to make sure i dont get burned thank you man

That sporty front end looks amazing on there.... Nice job!

First any front end can be put on anything. I have found out from years of doing them that most of the front ends are all basic the same. I have done on dragbikes GSXR fronts on Kaw and CBR fronts on Yamaha and if you look on here you will see GSXR fronts on XS650 and many more. The DNA is the easiest front to put on anything. You just got to know what to cut off and what not too.
If the place you took your bike too has any questions just have them email me and if they are good it will take less than a hour. Price wise i charged up to $200.00 to install one .....wheel brakes front end. Here is a GSXR on a KZ650
My email is DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM if you got questions and if you leave a number ...i will call you back. I am retired and have all the time in the world.

Attachments

• 650KZ.jpg
    650KZ.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 363
  • images (4).jpg
    images (4).jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 399
The1 inch bearing doesn't fit, the race is too largeDo you happen to know the bearing number for the top?

Timken bearing part number # L44643. Also cut off about 1/4 from the bottom of the neck as DADDYGCYCLES Suggested. This will let you use any 1" harley front end.

10499080_280228302160615_1051746661_n.jpg

my neck is 1.85, and the race for bearing 44643 is 1.95 . WTF?? Everyting was going so well to.....

Chop off the bearing cups on the necks and install this head-tube made by voodoo vintage and buy some harley neck cups.

http://voodoovintage.com/products.html

USE A HARLEY FRONT END ON YOUR METRIC!

With minimal modification, simply install our insert into your metric head-tube, weld in place, and press your Harley Davidson style bearing cups within. You can even increase your rake with special bearing cups! Bearing cups are not included and must be purchased separately.

insert_00new.png

Back