sprocket nut rubbing the clutch worm gear

lsc8

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
pulled the side cover off to grease the worm gear and oil the clutch lever and found that my front sprocket nut has been rubbing the worm gear at the pivot where the clutch cable attaches. Installed the new worm gear(mikes xs), and a cable(motion pro) last year, and am not having any issues. Also checked the torq on the sprocket nut and it is tight. Any ideas?

I haven't heard of that. I think I vaguely remember that the worm and bracket and etc could be installed in various wrong positions. Can you turn it some way that gives it better clearance? It's also possible that lever is bent toward the nut.

i thought that the clutch wouldn't work if the worm gear was installed on the wrong spline? It was working good and appears to be installed right. Wondering if the bend on the gear from mikesxs is off?

image.jpg

This is what I have. After playing with the worm gear position a little this morning I'm wondering if I did have it on the wrong spline. Could anyone tell me if this is wrong or right as I have no reference point now.

You may be off a spline. Your lever is pointing almost straight down. They usually angle up a bit more .....

WormGearMounted.jpg

I think u are right I moved it up one spline and the plastic internal seems to sit more flush on the outside and there is better spring tension. Reassembling it as we speak.

Well I don't understand it cause now I can't get the clutch to work. Had it apart about 6 times now. It seems now that I have the worm gear in the right position I don't have enough pull. The clutch isn't disengaging anyway.

any chance of some better pictures ? I can't work out which way up you have your cover in the picture . perhaps one of the whole cover and one of the worm assembly complete ?

After moving the position of the rachet you need to go through the clutch adjustment again. You've done that?

Yes I've taken it off and done a full adjustment about 6 times now.

I can't get it to stop dragging. I fought clutch issues all last year. I ordered a new lever perch cable and worm gear assembled it and adjusted it once without any problems.

I'm using the exact same set up that was working perfect until I took the side cover off. The side cover screw is tight and the cable as well but the clutch still drags. Which is what I fought last year as well.

Last edited:
^Hook the cable bracket to the hole in the lever further from the center. You'll get more pull that way. You'll have to re-adjust the cable. If if drags with the lever pulled all the way tighten the cable at the bar so it disengages sooner. Adjust it to disengage where you like it. Should be about the middle of lever travel to make it easier to feather.

Tried first hole. For some reason I thought the second hole would give more pull. Still not working right. Has a slight drag when all the way in but doesn't start to disengage until lever is almost all the way out. It just doesn't seem to change even though I'm adjusting at the lever. Could it be I'm just not getting the worm gear tight enough?

if the worm gear is like most bikes that's your main adjustment then the lever perch adjuster is just for fine tuning. Make sure the cable adjuster is in all the way then turn worm gear in until its touching the push rod. Then you just tweak with adjuster on perch.

Yea. Even with the worm gear nut showing no threads on the adjuster and the cable adjuster all the way out I can't even start the bike because of drag. The bike rolls to easy like the clutch has started to disengage but feels no different when you pull lever. Loosen worm gear and compression returns. If that makes sense.

^Do you know there's a single ball bearing that goes between the screw and the push rod? It falls out of the cover when you take the cover off and gets lost if you don't know it's there. And sometimes when you know it's there... I think it's 5/16". Check your factory manual.

Yea. It's there I have the long rod. there is a bearing after the rod and one captured i the worm gear. I've got the pull feeling about right at the moment. Quiting for the night. Will try to fine tune some more Tom.

any chance of some better pictures ? I can't work out which way up you have your cover in the picture . perhaps one of the whole cover and one of the worm assembly complete ?

Peanut, Remember what i was talking about. It is why i made the suggestions i did.

Back