Stalls when I put it in gear.

Hardfahrer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an XS 650, 82, that I just rebuilt and put back together. When I put it in first gear, the engine stalls. I rev it up, put it i first, engine stalls. Seems that the electrics aren't in order and the engines electrical power is being shut off as soon as it goes into gear. Any thoughts?

The TCI (ignition module) is interlocked with neutral switch and sidestand switch. Engine runs in neutral, but when you select first gear you are losing the sidestand interlock. The sidestand switch must be closed.

Have a look at the switch.................repair it or jumper the contacts.

The TCI (ignition module) is interlocked with neutral switch and sidestand switch. Engine runs in neutral, but when you select first gear you are losing the sidestand interlock. The sidestand switch must be closed.

Have a look at the switch.................repair it or jumper the contacts.

Yep, there's a connector on the left side that goes down to the sidestand switch. I pulled mine apart there and jumpered the wire together....removing the switch altogether.

wheres the sideswitch relay at?? I am using the tcbros simple harness and I dont believe I even have that relay and im having the same problem.

I have an 83 and am having the same problem. I just put a new clutch in it so idk what else it could be. It is jumping in gear and stalling as soon as i put it in 1st gear. The clutch cable is adjusted properly so is this relay the only other thing it could be? Where is the relay located? Can someone post a pic? Thanks in advance.

I have an 83 and am having the same problem. I just put a new clutch in it so idk what else it could be. It is jumping in gear and stalling as soon as i put it in 1st gear. The clutch cable is adjusted properly so is this relay the only other thing it could be? Where is the relay located? Can someone post a pic? Thanks in advance.
Sidestand relay is on the left side as previously stated by nj1639. It has 4 wires. Red/white, Blue/yellow, Black and Black/white.
You need to have a Haynes manual......................it shows the wiring for this interlock. Try unplugging the relay.

My '82 had the side stand switch removed by the PO. In order to make it work I had to tie together the L/Y and B (Blue/yellow and Black) wires to bypass the safety relay. Left side towards the rear fender in memory serves.

The switch is on the kickstand mount under the bike. The relay is back left.
Usually it's the switch because people remove it and don't tie in the wires at the relay. Then you get a $250 deal on Craigslist because the bike doesn't run, lol.

Thanks littlebill, will try it first thing in the morning. That's exactly what this bike was, except it was a $250 Facebook find. Guy said it needed a clutch. Come to find out it was the cable. He just didn't adjust the cable after he put it on. Because it sat for 5 years, I obviously had to replace the clutch plates.

If you're saying the bike lurches forward when you put it in gear and that's what stalls the motor, then you still have a clutch problem. Your clutch isn't releasing or disengaging. It could be an adjustment issue but it could also be an assembly error from when you put all the new clutch parts in.

5twins, I alternated friction and steel plates. I also aligned the dot in the clutch plate with the one on the basket and tightened to 7ft lbs. Is there something else I should have done?

Have a read of the Clutch sub-section in the Tech section. These clutches have been apart many times by POs. Sometimes they add or leave out parts or assemble in the wrong order. I had one spacer washer left out of my clutch by a PO.

The guy who sold it to you said it needed a clutch. Maybe he was in there messing with things and that's why it doesn't work right. There's a series of spacer washers that must be in place and in the right places so the clutch hubs don't rub on one another or the engine casings. They also space things properly so the clutch spreads open enough and then engages tightly after that. Maybe that guy messed up the spacer washer sequence. Here's a diagram. There should be two washers behind the clutch and two washers along with a flat radial bearing between the inner and outer clutch hubs. They must be in the order shown .....

wfEBron.jpg

Last edited:
You said you adjusted the clutch cable but did you adjust the worm screw too? You might be able to compensate for that missing ball with the worm adjuster screw but it's best to get a replacement. Even though these are metric bikes, that ball was 5/16" for some reason. A well stocked hardware store may have one.

Back