1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

STANDARD issue…. a resurrection begins….

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willis, Sep 16, 2021.

1. willis

willis xsive compulsive disorder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I’m already using all those things to organize. My biggest problem is that I started rebuilding my workbench this summer and never finished, so now I just have tools, parts, and general garage stuff stacked everywhere. I’ve got a 10’ long solid door I’ll be using for the bench, but it needs cut down. It will run the entire length on the wall up to the service door. I plan to put my bottom toolbox on a small riser instead of casters and tuck it under the workbench. The rest of the under counter I can use to stack totes of parts.

Adamc and Mailman like this.
  2. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter

Wales
    Sad news of the fellow biker.

3. willis

Step one complete. It’s not how I want it, but it’s a major step in getting there. My previous workbench was on casters. It was nice so that I could roll it out to the driveway to work on projects, but I hated that it would roll when I didn’t want it to. I cut about 15” off the 10’ solid door and got it secured to the legs and wall. It’s a full 30” deep too. It’s a little taller than before, but I like a taller work top and this also allows for more storage underneath. In fact, I can still push my rolling workbench under it as an L at the end. Like I said, it’s not how I really wanted it but it is very workable. I also took my casters off my bottom box and have it sitting directly underneath. Again, not as I envisioned it, but with securing the support legs to studs forced me to move it to the center. I can still tuck a barstool under it if I want too. I definitely need to reorganize, I just ran out of time tonight before my daughters volleyball tournament.
    237E1E95-EB45-4D9E-9EF9-4701C932B0B7.jpeg

SEd27, gggGary, Adamc and 3 others like this.
  4. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Looks like you’ve carved out a good clean workspace! And lots of useful storage too! ;)

gggGary, Adamc and Jim like this.
  5. willis

We are getting there. I honestly couldn’t walk through there before without stepping on something or taking a handlebar to the ribs. It feels good, but I can do better. A few more shelves and some fine tuning and will be set. Now I just need to clean out the other half of the garage so I can park inside before the snow flies.

Adamc, Jim and Mailman like this.
  6. willis

Back to business today. The front end is off. Going to install some tapered bearings, which I still need to order. But I got the trees off and broke down, scrubbed, and painted along with the risers too. Last week I broke down and ordered some new handlebars, my first purchase on this project so far. The cb750 bars I had on are nice, but just not quite the right bend for me. I like the No.10 tracker bend bars on my 75, so I got another set for the 77. While I was waiting for the paint to dry I worked on the bars. These bars run about 34” wide, which is a bit much. So I trimmed off 1.5” from each end. Then I proceeded to drill the bars to run the wiring internally. I do this on all my bikes. It just tidies everything up for a much cleaner look. Also got the clutch perch mounted, wires pulled, and controls all mounted. A big thanks to Jim for hooking me up with the clutch perch too! All I need to finish up the bars is a master and brake lines. Will get to that in good time though.
    853DCA1C-BFB7-47A0-B2BD-CDD26CCD1CD0.jpeg BE77983F-6116-4489-B56C-01FE8F16A5AE.jpeg 6E3F9FDA-E5ED-4F01-98DA-16147717F2AC.jpeg 497F1A94-B239-4AA0-9DCB-3DCC8003EA95.jpeg

Attached Files:

Mailman, Adamc and Jim like this.
  7. willis

Stripped her the rest of the way down tonight. My goal is to finish cleaning up the frame and addressing the remaining surface rust. Surprisingly for having sat so long, most fasteners are coming apart without too much fuss. Got the motor on the stand and strapped to my lift. It’s pretty nasty under the alternator cover, but a quick peek under the tapper covers and it looks pretty clean. I didn’t see any rust in there, but we will see down the road when I get to opening it all up. It turns over pretty well too. I was able to do a little side job yesterday to bring in a little spending cash. Hoping to put my first parts order in this week. I’ll keep plugging away as time permits.
    0BEE911B-2F33-4F0A-81FB-762114B9378F.jpeg 34901C5C-1589-4830-88F1-E4043A5F4423.jpeg

Also peeked inside the carbs tonight to see what I’m up against there. None of the screw heads were boogered up and all came out pretty easily (thanks to the JIS screwdrivers). They are all complete but pretty gummy. Wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner. Not sure how I’ll address them just yet. Diaphragms looked good, just a little dry.
    39616E24-F16B-41ED-80A8-CACE194BC640.jpeg 18C6C286-068F-412C-9EBE-47F7C3335930.jpeg A8EF4AD1-CBFC-4AA8-B0D7-DB2D3499CC65.jpeg

Adamc, Mailman and GLJ like this.
  8. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Excellent progress Rob! This is going to be fun to watch! :geek:

Adamc likes this.