Standard Rear Rack pics

Unknown name. Not an ANCO.
Rare 78E Standard frame loop fitment shown here. Pics- (thread title lol)
20200619_135259.jpg
20200619_112355.jpg
ps , waiting for more (Ebay) chrome shocks w/black springs. (Triumph)
20200619_140706.jpg

Last edited:
Unknown name. Not an ANCO.
Rare 78E Standard frame loop fitment shown here. Pics- (thread title lol)
View attachment 170187 View attachment 170188ps , waiting for more (Ebay) chrome shocks w/black springs. (Triumph)

I really like that rack Randy! It has very graceful, curving lines, I also like the way that it drops down below the edge of the rear of the seat, unlike my Anco which is parallel with the top of the seat.
D92DFEFB-29EC-446F-A78B-C36DD695A1A8.jpeg

Overdue pic I promised Randy for this thread after some fitment advice. Here's a standard rack I picked up a couple months ago. Installed in about 15 minutes on the upper shock mounts and stock rear signal mount brackets on my 74 TX-A. Removed a bit of surface rust and it polished up quite nicely. Felt like a steal for $30. Couple pics of it empty and (mildly) loaded up. Originally I thought I might take it on and off, but 1) it's so dang useful and 2) I actually like the look of it way more than I expected. I think it suits the bike really well, it's a great design.

upload_2020-10-1_11-19-15.png
5406E91D-A1C5-4A10-B24B-65E35D01E3DD.JPG

Overdue pic I promised Randy for this thread after some fitment advice. Here's a standard rack I picked up a couple months ago. Installed in about 15 minutes on the upper shock mounts and stock rear signal mount brackets on my 74 TX-A. Removed a bit of surface rust and it polished up quite nicely. Felt like a steal for $30. Couple pics of it empty and (mildly) loaded up. Originally I thought I might take it on and off, but 1) it's so dang useful and 2) I actually like the look of it way more than I expected. I think it suits the bike really well, it's a great design.

View attachment 176298 View attachment 176299
I agree that it does not detract from the appearance of your bike. It's also required if you're taking your wife or girlfriend on a picnic.

Racks for XSs have gone like hen's teeth here, and ones that do show up are stupid money.
I think I'll make one. Possibly flat steel with a bit of tube here and there.
Time to try out the new plasma cutter anyway.

I know it wouldn’t look right but I wish I had a rack on the back of my bike. Is there anything that is a “quick disconnect” design that I might be able to use?

I know it wouldn’t look right but I wish I had a rack on the back of my bike. Is there anything that is a “quick disconnect” design that I might be able to use?
I'm not sure how the rack attaches to your bike, but I just took my Eleven Special camping. Taking the seat off is a PITA, and the taillight, too. All told, it's the seat and four bolts. It took a few minutes to install the rack, then I added the trunk. When I got home, I unloaded the bike and took that stuff back off. It really wasn't any worse than any other minor chore.
@bosco659 maybe you have enough original motorcycle to mount one up? And take it off when you don't want to look at it.

I'm not sure how the rack attaches to your bike, but I just took my Eleven Special camping. Taking the seat off is a PITA, and the taillight, too. All told, it's the seat and four bolts. It took a few minutes to install the rack, then I added the trunk. When I got home, I unloaded the bike and took that stuff back off. It really wasn't any worse than any other minor chore.
@bosco659 maybe you have enough original motorcycle to mount one up? And take it off when you don't want to look at it.
That’s a good idea. I’m thinking it would be nice to have something for the trip to the corner store or ??? I’m not a big back pack fan and strapping stuff to the seat doesn’t work do well. Maybe this is a good winter project.

I had similar thoughts before I actually installed it and when realized I didn't mind the look of it I never revisited. In case it's useful to anyone, here's a close up of it off of the bike. When I was considering it, I had this idea to fabricate some sort of thick washer/spacer for permanent install on the upper shock mount standoffs. The idea being that this would be adequately recessed so that it could accept the open-ended legs of the rack without having to remove the upper shock nuts. Then maybe some sort of wing nuts or large knurled bolts on the other two mounts (rear turn signal brackets) so they could be installed/removed by hand. Could make it a relatively easy pop-on/off (assuming it worked, heh)

61841252592__E40BF9E1-AF3B-40A9-981A-2ECB35569098.JPG

Last edited:
Thx. Would this grab rail be a bolt on for my ‘76?
Worth a try. The grab rail shown was actually a 79 Special II grab rail sourced for very cheap years ago a a motorcycle swap meet. That grab rail did fit the shown 78 Standard but needed slight "tweeking" at the signal mount location. I would not hesitate to pick up another of those if I stumbled on it.
;)

Back