Starter arcing when cranking

soad666p

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hi there, when I try to start my bike with an electric starter, I see a big flash of light under the bike.
I'm not too sure what could be causing this has anyone else seen this before

the bike itself does not seem to be starting, I pulled the plugs and didn't see any spark and when i try to kick start it, I get a big kick back for it

The starter is fully enclosed, so it's unlikely the brushes are the culprit. The most likely suspect is a loose cable connection at the starter. Another possibility is that the post the cable connects to has come loose or the insulating material between it and the starter case is loose or broken.

A visual inspection should tell you a lot.

Sounds like a bike that has been sitting for a while. A full tune up and oil change before starting would be a good idea. Check the points (if it has points, '79 and earlier) adjust the cam chain, adjust the valves, make sure it has fresh gas. Maybe check the compression while the plugs are out.

Read the appropriate parts of the tech section, all of this is well within the capabilities of anyone that knows a box end wrench from a visegrip.

Welcome to the forum!
What ignition? A pic or two would help us help you. besides we like pics round these parts.
If points it's pretty easy to get the points crossed so they are firing the wrong cylinder but that usually just makes backfires, Too far advanced will create kickbacks.
For the starter sparks; get down and see exactly where the flash is coming from. A loose connection is a likely problem. You could have a short also. There is no fuse in the battery to starter wiring.

The starter is fully enclosed, so it's unlikely the brushes are the culprit. The most likely suspect is a loose cable connection at the starter. Another possibility is that the post the cable connects to has come loose or the insulating material between it and the starter case is loose or broken.

A visual inspection should tell you a lot.

Sounds like a bike that has been sitting for a while. A full tune up and oil change before starting would be a good idea. Check the points (if it has points, '79 and earlier) adjust the cam chain, adjust the valves, make sure it has fresh gas. Maybe check the compression while the plugs are out.

Read the appropriate parts of the tech section, all of this is well within the capabilities of anyone that knows a box end wrench from a visegrip.
thanks for all the help so far :D,what I have done some far, I change the oil and filter, the points have been replaced with the newtronics electronic ignition system(not by me), I'm not too sure about the valves, I replace the stock carbs with Mikuni vm34mm, new coil packs, even replace the alternator brushes

With the spark plugs out ignition timing can be checked with a timing light, either kick (assistant needed) or electric start. Trying electric start with plugs out may help reveal the sparking issue also. You must attach plug wires and ground both spark plugs when cranking motor with plugs out.

update, I swapped the ht leads with another set that I have, and I was able to get a spark from left-hand side spark plug but when I tried the right-hand side, i didn't see any spark, I had replaced the coil park about a year ago or two,

swap components side to side one at a time til you find the defective one. Never assume new = good. Been there wasted a lot of time figuring that out.

I swapped one new coils with the old and I got spark both side but now I'm getting this, the only happen after blow a fuse which I replaced, battery is fully charged

Back