WhiteLightningMotorCo

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, thanks for having me! I’m having some issues completing the starter circuit on a client’s 1981 xls 650 custom cafe racer. I’m using a simplified chopper diagram, but can’t seem to figure out how to integrate the OEM style starter button/killswitch since all the simplified wiring diagrams call for a momentary ign switch.
The electric start had largely been deleted except for the starter itself, which he wanted to have reconnected since his wife can’t kick it over.
When I started what I thought could be a simple circuit mod, I found that the OEM harness had been altered and hacked at SO incorrectly SO many times I had to gut it all. I stuck largely to the diagram below, but also followed the OEM diagram at some points where the good components were already wired to OEM specs. I cannot find a diagram that uses this simplified system with a handlebar push button/kill switch for the starter, and quite frankly, I’m strongest in metal fab and moving parts and can’t elaborate or get creative with electrical. At this point I’m in a bit over my head and any help would be appreciated!!!

Notes:
*the OEM replacement solenoid I ordered has a yellow/pink and a green/pink wire where the ignition and ground should be. Which one is which?!?!
*the ignition wire from the momentary starter button is blue/white, ground black, and on the killswitch it has red/white for run and brown for off/off. This varies slightly from OEM color codes and there is no existing connector to just plug into the OEM starter button harness.

Attachments

• A2122E5C-33DA-480F-B9C6-24B837592FB0.jpeg
    A2122E5C-33DA-480F-B9C6-24B837592FB0.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 770
Back