Starter Delete: Freeze plug won't fit.

MicahBearden

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of deleting the electric start on my 82 Heritage Special

I have read every thread i could find on this subject before posting this one.

I have the correct size freeze plug 1 53/64", i know that mikes xs and tc bros both sell block off kits, but based on my research the freeze plug seemed like the way to go. My problem is that the plug just seems way to big. I have the seal removed so it's just bear cases and i measured it all up with verniers and it just doent seem like its going to work.

I went as far as placing the plug in the freezer over night and then heating up the cases right before i tried to get the plug in and still no luck. I was using a large socket/extension and trying to hammer the plug in like i had seen alot of people talk about online. I didnt hit it extremely hard for fear of cracking the case, but i feel like it shoudnt need an extreme blow to pop in correct?

I have seen a few comments where people said they took a flapper wheel and ground out where the plug goes slightly, but i would love to not go that route if i dont have to.

Just wonder if anyone has run into a similar problem before? Most of the threads made putting the plug in sound so easy :shrug:

Thanks for the help
-Micah

It's a tight fit. Just make sure you have a block of wood behind it. Are you putting it from the inside of the starter housing?

Hi, I use a socket that fits snug into the dish of the plug. Everyone I've done I've had to emery the edge a bit to get it to fit. I smear of sealant doesn't go amiss to ease it in and promote a good seal

I just did this with a freeze plug. It was kind of a pain. I put it in the freezer and used some sealant. I used a big socket with an extension and tapped it in from the left side of the bike. I didnt think it was going to fit or work at first. Eventually it went in pretty square and I added sealant to both sides to make sure it wouldn't leak. Surprisingly it is all good!

I consider it extremely risky to drive a plug into place as-is. they run 1.830" diameter and you could easily crack the case by forcing it.

I reverse chuck them in a lathe to get them to about 1.812", or you can very carefully run them against a bench top belt sander/disc to reduce the diameter. I just did one that way the other day. put a dot on the plug so you can track that you're turning it evenly offhand.

as mentioned above they must be installed from inside the case which has a chamfered edge. backing the hole up with a block is difficult unless you have an assistant... not entirely necessary. I use Permatex Ultra Copper sealant on both the case hole and the plug edge (let it cure after install). it's still a very snug fit at the reduced diameter. no leaks in 3 motors.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
the stock freeze plug's 1-53/64" diameter = 1.828" = 46.43mm.
barncat's reduced diameter freezeplug's 1.812" = 46.02mm.
Betcha the XS650's starter hole is 46mm, it being a metric bike and all?
Meanwhile that aftermarket starter plug costs all of ~$22 in Canadian money.
I reckon there's times to be cheap but this ain't one of them.

Fred- thanks for reminding me I dropped the "1"... corrected above. these do work well but it is a procedure that requires caution.

Yea I used the Mike's kit on my Café, and honestly, for just a few dollars more then the freeze plug, it is much nicer and easier to install. Just spend the $18 and get the kit from Mike's XS. It retains the rubber seal I believe unlike using the freeze plug where you remove the seal.

for a one-off build I suppose the kit (do they ever come loose over time?) might make sense but with shipping it's 25 bucks or so. for multiple motors the freeze plugs are less than a buck each per box of ten... 25x price differential.

Thanks for all of the info guys. Glad to see that there is a bit more to it than i initially thought. Makes me feel better about it not going smoothly my first try haha

Id like to get the freeze plug process down, i hope to be building a few more of these engines this way in the future.

For now i will try to proceed with extreme caution and get the overall size of the plug reduced. I'll report back and let everyone know how i go with it.

Thanks

When i read threads like this i find myself rather puzzled, for me it truly is a no brainer whether it's for a single motor or multiple motors, the job should be done properly or not at all, you can even plug the front end of the starter motor case then bolt it back in place this way you do not damage the cases and preserve them in the event of someone wanting to put a starter back in, the stateside bike that i have had a lot of botched jobs done to it right down to over sized forks with sockets welded into the tops and different length springs and non identical plungers, i for one would like to meet the person that done this so i could take his tools off of him and then stitch his hands to his sides so he does not do stupid things again.:banghead:

Kevski i agree and understand what you're saying.

If i cant do the job with the freeze plug in a complete and proper way then i will absolutely purchase a block off kit (probably from TC Bros, i've been really happy with all of my interactions with those guys so far) but i would like to give the freeze plug a go incase i can develop a system to doing it that i feel confident in. Personally i prefer the look of the freeze plug over the block off kit. Even though it probably wont be seen by anyone :laugh:

Im going to be trying to size down the plug instead of trying to flapperwheel out the hole so that if anyone ever does want to put the starter back on they shouldnt have any problems.

kevski- the whole point of this operation is to jettison 4lbs of scrap metal, and the process is reversible. why you'd reuse a dummy starter when these weightless $1 freeze plugs work well is beyond me... ya just gotta be careful when you put 'em in. modify the plug, not the hole.

kevski- the whole point of this operation is to jettison 4lbs of scrap metal, and the process is reversible. why you'd reuse a dummy starter when these weightless $1 freeze plugs work well is beyond me... ya just gotta be careful when you put 'em in. modify the plug, not the hole.

No you strip the starter motor down and plug the holes in the face plate and put that bit back in the hole, pressing in freeze/core plugs will scrape the casings no matter how good you are, i like my starter so will keep mine, but if for some strange reason i wanted to delete it, i would not be so scrooge like and not buy the parts from Mikes or TC Bross just for the sake of a $20 block off kit, but as it happens i would spin one up on my lathe anyway.

Hey guys,

I ended up just going with the starter delete plug from mikes xs...I really wanted to figure out the freeze plug route, but i just sold my other bike and with it starting to get warmer i gave it to just doing it the easiest way so i could get riding.

All in all the kit from mikes was really easy to install and hasnt given me any problems or leaks after riding the bike around for a couple days. If you do do with mikes kit just make sure that your seal where the starter goes is still good or that you order a new one. The kit wont fit without that seal.

Back