Starter Gear Fix!

They take a pretty much constant beating as you ride the bike. Every time you roll on or off the throttle, they get pushed against or that pressure is released. I'm also looking into adapting a different rear wheel that has a rubber mounted or "cush drive" sprocket. I think that would be a big help.

full

Now that would be interesting!

See how much that repair kit costs? Like I said, you can usually buy a whole used clutch assembly for less than that. Then you get a bunch of other extra parts too.

Gary, quit leaving us in suspense here, what hub is that?

And Skull, nice stuff but not anything one of us can easily do. If I had a million dollars then sure, but then I wouldn't be riding a clapped out 40 year old bike now would I, lol.

Who ME? :pimp:

Zookie GS750-1000 about 79. Kinda like a special II model. I have it laced to a WM5x18 flange rim. using mikesXS SS 18" rear spokes. Sprocket alignment is very close. Need to skive about an 1/8" off either the center of a 530 sprocket or the carrier. been sorta looking for a light weight disk brake parts, the stocker is a pig.
Suzuki used a 630 chain but 530 conversion sprockets can be found to fit the hub. and it will hold a 34 tooth 530.
Wait, wait! there's more.:cool:

Or there's this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18x3-5-Rear...ck-Change-Rim-Hub-18-3-5-Tracker/152600856570

AND this
https://cognitomoto.com/products/xs650-rear-hub-disc-brake-conversion?variant=21382173441

Last edited:
I haven't been on this site in a while. It's a shame ADMIN will not post this as a sticky after I've asked them to. Now this thread has helpful post has tuned into a hub thread.

This site now just emailed me there was a new post, that's good its done now.

Thanks 5 Twins for all your help with answers for everyone.

Hi 5twins,

I have a 75, how do I tell if I have the beefier clip or the old style clip? Im assuming if the current clip is in the top notch is the older style clip? If I buy a replacement from Mikes does it go in the lower postion as shown in your image? And the only special tool I need is clutch basket holder right? Anybody know the torque rating form the clutch bolt and the clucth spring screws? For the spring screws is hand tight enough?

Looking to do this project, this weekend.
I also have a 75 could I not just get a oem clip for a 1976 and know it's a beefier part

You'll know it's the beefier part when you compare it to the one you've got. The wire will be thicker if it is. But, it may not fit on your '75 gear. You may need the newer updated gear too. According to the tech bulletin, the new parts are to be used as a set only. That tells me the new clip probably won't fit properly on the old gear. The groove it snaps into on the gear is probably smaller.

You'll know it's the beefier part when you compare it to the one you've got. The wire will be thicker if it is. But, it may not fit on your '75 gear. You may need the newer updated gear too. According to the tech bulletin, the new parts are to be used as a set only. That tells me the new clip probably won't fit properly on the old gear. The groove it snaps into on the gear is probably smaller.
Last year I bought a new oem clip (1975) but it didn't work after tightening it ( It worked for a little while then of course it started grinding again ) I will have to take it out again and squeeze it tighter with it on the gear as per this thread to get more than 4lbs
I also bought a new return spring but it is so light weight it's seems crazy that it could do much of anything
Removing the clutch basket etc. to do the job had me worried but I laid the parts out in order and the reassembly wasn't too bad (first time is always scary)

Thanks

The old skinny wire clip won't work for very long. That's why it was updated to a heavier wire clip. And even so, that new heavier wire clip also spreads open and slips over time. Yes, that return spring isn't very strong. PamcoPete even recommended leaving it out several years ago. He said he believed it allowed the starter gear to engage better. So I took mine out, but I see no improvement in the starter engagement. I will most likely put it back in eventually because there is a minor "glitch" with it removed. When you park the bike on the sidestand while it's idling, the missing spring allows the starter gear to drift down into the crank gear and you get some minor, random grinding.

The old skinny wire clip won't work for very long. That's why it was updated to a heavier wire clip. And even so, that new heavier wire clip also spreads open and slips over time. Yes, that return spring isn't very strong. PamcoPete even recommended leaving it out several years ago. He said he believed it allowed the starter gear to engage better. So I took mine out, but I see no improvement in the starter engagement. I will most likely put it back in eventually because there is a minor "glitch" with it removed. When you park the bike on the sidestand while it's idling, the missing spring allows the starter gear to drift down into the crank gear and you get some minor, random grinding.
so what you are saying is that there is no long term fix ? A couple of years ?

Yes, the new heavier clip helps, and squeezing it tighter helps, but eventually you will need to do it again. I redid mine after about 8 years. The best thing you can do is keep the bike in a good state of tune so it starts quickly and easily. Then you won't have to "work" the starter very hard.

Yes, the new heavier clip helps, and squeezing it tighter helps, but eventually you will need to do it again. I redid mine after about 8 years. The best thing you can do is keep the bike in a good state of tune so it starts quickly and easily. Then you won't have to "work" the starter very hard.
One more question Buy the kit from Mikes xs or get all the equivalent NOS parts for a 1976 to get the fatter clip and the new gear to accommodate the thicker clip (just not a fan of some of Mikes parts)

Personally, I prefer original parts. The MikesXS stuff is knock-offs. If you look at the beginning of this thread, you'll see the MikesXS clip is ground flat on the sides so it's not as thick as an original. I've got to think that makes it weaker. Sure, it may tension up OK after you squeeze it tight, but will it hold that tension for long? Probably not as long as an original. Unfortunately, the original parts aren't available anymore. You'd have to find some on eBay or something, or you could use nice used ones. I think I'd even do that before buying the MikesXS stuff. You would want a '76 or newer gear and clip. Maybe gggGary can help you out with that.

Personally, I prefer original parts. The MikesXS stuff is knock-offs. If you look at the beginning of this thread, you'll see the MikesXS clip is ground flat on the sides so it's not as thick as an original. I've got to think that makes it weaker. Sure, it may tension up OK after you squeeze it tight, but will it hold that tension for long? Probably not as long as an original. Unfortunately, the original parts aren't available anymore. You'd have to find some on eBay or something, or you could use nice used ones. I think I'd even do that before buying the MikesXS stuff. You would want a '76 or newer gear and clip. Maybe gggGary can help you out with that.
It's strange when looking on Partzialla website for these new parts(they don't have any but I use the site to get the OEM numbers ) I checked the parts numbers from 1975 to 1978 and the only parts number that changed is for the number 4 gear not the clip or the return spring

Back