starter ....grinding/rattling noise..yuk!!!!!

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,,, i meet a guy in maffra a few years ago ..... motorbike mechanic.. no help at all ..secret mens stuff type guy.. and rather than buy a starter gear kit with the spring etc.. he pulled off the right side plus theclutch set up and re-positioned the spring so that it put more pressure and made the gear mesh... i used it a couple of times checking it out on his xs650 and it seemed to work.. has anybody else done this at all regards oldbiker

I haven't done it but I plan to. I've read all you really have to do is squeeze that wishbone spring tighter, without even taking the clutch out.

When Yama Mama put in a stronger wishbone spring, they changed the position of where it went. The point of the wishbone no longer fit in the space in the case. So they told every one to put it just to the right of where it used to fit.

To do the "fix" correctly, you really should remove the clip from the gear and squeeze the small end tighter in a vice. Doing it with the part in place is hit or miss. But it's your bike, do what you want. After 3 or 4 weeks trying to set the points it's obvious it doesn't matter if you need to pull this stuff apart 6 or 7 times, lol. What you will need is a new wall to bang your head against because I'm sure the other one is full of holes by now.

hi guys thanks for the very good advice,,,i realise that it would be far better to get a new set up from mikesxs.. to fix the rattling etc.. .. you are correct about the wall .. although i do have a full workshop pit in my garage,,,that the old ex farmer did when they built the garage .. ,,and gee..... i,ve been tempted to roll it in the pit concrete over it ...and claim the insurance .... only joking of course,, i,ll calm down abit and i,m sure some good will come out of it ... i,ll get all my stuff i need for the xs650 about xmas .. at least my big bike is behaving himself ... regards oldbiker

You might find new wishbone springs on Ebay. I bought two there a few monthes back. Can't recall exact price, somewhere around $7 shipped for the two.
Often the spring is all you need to replace. The gear may look half worn, but they round off the square corners on the gear to ease engagement. As long as you have half the tooth left it will work just fine.

Back