starter motor oil seal

Jaydela180

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck replacing starter to crankcase oil seal without having to remove left side gear train cover. Trying to make this fix as simple as possible, but want to make sure gears will all match up when installing starter after new seal.

Or, has anyone swapped starter motors without pulling gear train cover? Just wanna know if I'm gonna be fighting a losing battle by doing this blindly.

The starter is heavy. It's easy to bugger up the seal in the case with the starter nose gear if you can't watch while you insert it. I'm not saying it isn't possible to install the starter your way, it's just going to be harder and you run a higher risk of damaging the seal.

Looks like I'll be taking off that cover then. Your knowledge here and throughout the website is greatly appreciated. Thanks

If I remove the starter motor with bike on center stand will oil run out? ie do I gotta dump the sump?

Indeed it will, and big time too, lol. Notice the little rod sticking down into the starter gear area on the upper right .....

B0bwywv.jpg

That's the end of your dip stick and the low oil mark on it is at least 1/2" up from the bottom of it. The end of the starter and the starter seal are completely under the oil level.

No, the oil will magically stay in, as you discovered...?

So, the question is, did the sump dump through the starter hole or the drain plugs? lol

Don't know why it was turning so slow.
DSCN9505.JPG DSCN9506.JPG
It had plenty of oil in it....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/electric-start-turns-over-but-won’t-fire.52174/#post-552094

:whistle:
Cleaned up and installed a different starter. Brrm brrm now. First oil filled starter I've run into on an XS650. :umm:
This did have leaky petcocks a ways back that dumped gas in the crankcase, maybe it swelled the seal. :shrug:.
PS it didn't seem to be an issue pulling and replacing the starter without opening the starter gearcase.

Back