starter seal leaking ?

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I still haven't got all the leaks in my 78 Standard plugged. No drips on the white paper towel that was underneath it all night after our 80 mile loop yesterday.

xs-oil-leak1.jpg

xs-oil-leak2.jpg

Is this likely the starter seal? Big drop of fresh oil on the left of the two starter mounting bolts.

The left side seems wet, the right side is dry except for a drip on the bottom of the frame just aft of the exhaust bolts. I removed and replaced the right side cover recently, but the new gasket shows no sign of a leak anywhere. The drop on the frame below it is a mystery to me.

I dragged a Q-tip around the filter plate and don't see any leaks there. Tach drive is dry as is the oil filler.

Thanks!

there isn't a seal between the three pieces that is the starter assembly. There shouldn't be any oil in the starter its self. If there is, that might be where the oil is coming from. Take the starter off the bike, drain oil first, if the seal that seals the starter to the engine block is bad, oil will get in there.
Wow, q-tip, eh?

My guess is the starter motor to engine seal. The oil drip is right below it and the whole area around it looks pretty wet. I'd clean it all up real good and observe the area after some rides. Don't know about the drip on the far frame rail. That's usually that right cover gasket. Or maybe one of the lower 4 screws holding it on is missing its copper sealing washer?

RightSideCover.jpg

My guess is the starter motor to engine seal. The oil drip is right below it and the whole area around it looks pretty wet. I'd clean it all up real good and observe the area after some rides. Don't know about the drip on the far frame rail. That's usually that right cover gasket. Or maybe one of the lower 4 screws holding it on is missing its copper sealing washer?

Clean it all up and observe. Check.

Your picture of the side cover is interesting in that not one of the drawings I have shows all those washers. My drawing shows 2 washers and those are there. I can see no evidence of a leak along that gasket or by any of the screws. It is possible the oil was there before I noticed it. More clean up.

Is there a pdf file that has all your notes/updates?

Thanks for all the info!

That is the drawing for the 1st few years, XS1 and XS2. Yes, later diagrams only show 2 screws and washers, but if you look in the "Req." column, it will say 4 washers needed. Many times you find washers on the oil filter cover screws but none of the drawings call for them there. I've never used them on the filter cover screws and never had any leaks. Sorry, no PDF of all my stuff, but if you click on the pic, it will take you to my Photobucket account. There's tons of 650 pics and diagrams, all public. Help yourself to whatever you like. Here's another I "doctored" showing the other cover .....

LeftCover.jpg

I am looking to get that seal on the motor where the starter goes. Im not sure what the proper name is for the seal if I can get the name that would b great and how to replace it thanks.

Sorry for the thread resurrection.. and hijack!!

In this image (from this thread but explains my issue with added big red circle), this particular bolt *seems* to be the source of my oil leak, I cleaned up around the area and the big acorn nuts with the copper washers are ok, this one has a steel washer and is constantly wet, resulting in a little spotting after a run.

What is this bolt?
Does it need a copper washer?
Is it more likey to be the starter seal or starter cover gasket leaking and collecting here?

P.S I am using 10W40 for a Valtra tractor (Morris brand I think) which could be a bit thin?

xs-oil-leak1.jpg

Edit: took a photo of mine as the area looks generally ok, but the oil definitely drips off the same bolt (please excuse whatever the PO did to the sump plug...).

IMG_20180801_113613.jpg

Thank you kindly....

Last edited:
That area and bolt is directly below one of the most leak-prone seals on this bike - the clutch pushrod seal. You'll have to pull the left cover off to investigate that.

Only domed nuts would take copper washers. If I had to replace the starter to engine seal I would definitely do it with the bike laying on its side.

That area and bolt is directly below one of the most leak-prone seals on this bike - the clutch pushrod seal. You'll have to pull the left cover off to investigate that.

Only domed nuts would take copper washers. If I had to replace the starter to engine seal I would definitely do it with the bike laying on its side.

Thanks, so you don't think that nut/washer could be a source of a leak, more like oil is running down to it?
I have had the cover off to put in a new clutch cable, didn't look oily in there but the bike had been stood for years - now I have started riding it it is getting hot and the oil started flowing.

Also, being right under the sprocket it can just be oil from the chain coming off. It probably wants to sling off most where it makes that tight turn around the sprocket, and it runs down...

But if you haven't read this already, check the tighness of the big nut holding the front sprocket on.

Back